You can't peel a grape

happymomma307
on 6/27/12 12:37 am - OH
I'm only on the soft foods stage now and of course it says small peeled fruits but when I look ahead at phase 5, which for me is the regular diet, it says no skins so does that mean I can never eat grapes or cherries again? I guess it's not really a huge deal except that these are my absolut favorite fruit, I was just curious since they have skin and I couldn't imagine peeling a grape.

MyLady Heidi
on 6/27/12 12:41 am
I ignored all that peeling nonsense, but just an aside, cherries are my fav also, or were.  Now they make me sick sick sick, like straight to the bathroom diareah.  Sad but true, be careful when you try them.
happymomma307
on 6/27/12 12:50 am - OH
Any other fruits you suggest staying away from? I do want to run into that problem! Milk did that post-op and it was horrible, I don't want to experience that again!

happymomma307
on 6/27/12 1:01 am - OH
Do NOT do NOT do NOT want to run into that problem again! Haha typo!
joeyanderson
on 6/28/12 2:29 pm
 Thanks for the advice. I'll be careful.
Cindy T.
on 6/27/12 2:10 am - Newaygo, MI
 Try cutting the grape in half, hold one half to your mouth (with the cut side to your mouth) and squish/twist the skin so the flesh of the grape goes into your mouth...discard the skin. I know it will take forever to eat a few grapes, but that's a good thing, too! Learning to eat slower after surgery and with more purpose - to enjoy every bite - is a challenge for most of us!
Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels!  

BRENDALOU
on 6/27/12 5:11 am - Oklahoma City, OK
DS on 07/30/12
grapes can be peeled i have been doing that for 30 years. yes it does take a long time to eat them but they are GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!  that is the only way i can eat then and i have not had surgery yet.
southernlady5464
on 6/27/12 5:30 am
I NEVER peel grapes...only those whose skins are considered inedible (like bananas or oranges). I also eat apple peels.

The only grape that I ever come close to peeling is a muscadine...that one, the insides pop out when I bite down but I STILL eat the skin.

On the other hand, I was also over 7 months out before muscadine season hit. Had my surgery in Jan 2011, and the first muscadine**** the market in Aug.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

comeundone
on 6/27/12 1:56 pm - OH
 I eat grapes and cherries,my nut did not say anything about peeling fruit.I have no problems with them.
HW 289  SW 242

Most Active