Not sure about this now.... (New to boards)

ImDun
on 7/3/12 2:26 pm
RNY on 02/26/13
Spent the weekend with my sister who had lapband done 2 years ago with no weight-loss.  She admits she is not good for following the program or taking time for herself.  One thing that bothered me all weekend was all the different sounds coming out of her body. I will say I was appalled at what she was eating...cookies, donuts, ice cream, shakes.  I didn't think you could do that with WLS. As far as the burping and tooting,  I don't think she was even aware of it but it would be a deal breaker for me.

I am have diabeets and high triglycerides/cholesteral.  My main reason for wanting the surgery is to get of all/most meds and cPap machiine.  I think gatstric bypass or sleeve will be my best option and told lap band is not good for me from many of you.

How many of you have problems with burping or gas after surgery?

Please respond!  I have an appointment for information seminar and was really considering this after 2 years of thinking about it but now I am second guessing it.  I am a dental hygienist and around the public a lot.  I cannot have body sounds all day long....

Thanks!

Mary Catherine
on 7/3/12 2:43 pm
 Most of the body sounds are from eating carbs.  If you can stick to a high protein, low carb diet, the body sounds should not happen.  Lapband is notorious for failure to lose.  The sleeve is not the optimal choice for someone with diabetes because the change to the intestines that are believed to be the reason for the diabetes remission is not part of the sleeve.  Only RNY and DS have that component.
ImDun
on 7/3/12 3:14 pm
RNY on 02/26/13
I thought DS was the sleeve?  I thought I've had some tell me the sleeve is good because you dont get reactive hypoglycemia?
MsBatt
on 7/4/12 12:54 am
On July 3, 2012 at 10:14 PM Pacific Time, ImDun wrote:
I thought DS was the sleeve?  I thought I've had some tell me the sleeve is good because you dont get reactive hypoglycemia?
Nope.

The DS/duodenal switch has a sleeved stomach, PLUS an intestinal bypass which causes dramatic, permanent metabolic changes in the way your body deals with food. The DS is the form of WLS with the very BEST long-term, maintained weight loss, AND the very best stats for resolving or preventing things like diabetes and high cholesterol/triglycerides.

Yes, both the Sleeve and the DS retain the pylorus, so the odds of your getting reactive hypoglycemia post-op are only slightly higher than if you never had surgery at all. (Any sort of surgery on your stomach slightly increases the odds of developing this condition.)

Body sounds are largely diet-related. No matter which form of WLS you choose, you'll have to discover exactly what YOUR new body is happy with. For the first few months post-op, I burped more than before---but farted a LOT less. After about a year, I was pretty much back to 'normal' as far as body sounds went.
Mary Catherine
on 7/3/12 3:30 pm
 DS is the Duodenal Switch which is the most extreme and most effective of the four commonly done surgeries.
kathkeb
on 7/3/12 3:35 pm
I have had success with my band but mostly because I surrendered to the fact that the band will not stop me from eating sweets.

So, I chose to give up those foods. I don't have any self control over highly processed carbs so it is easier for me to have none than to try to eat them moderately.

I don't have bodily noises ..occasional tiny burps after eating, but no excessive gas, gurgling or loud burping. I have a diminished appetite but am able to eat just about anything.

Good luck with your choice, I hope you get the health benefits you are looking for.
Kath

Feralgirl
on 7/3/12 8:05 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12
Still in recovery, but I hiccup when I get full, and tiny little burps when I first drink. The air's gotta go somewhere. ;) I'm not talking Pumbaa-like burps, a passerby would hardly know.

But holy junk food batman...you can make protein/gluten free ice cream, cake, even cookies...but you shouldn't have the real thing. There's just no point to filling your body with garbage...no room!

RNY Date - June 29th 2012

Gall Bladder out Jan 17 2013

DebsGiz
on 7/3/12 11:05 pm - FL

I have much less gas and burping now than before surgery.
lmaosmileyfacenz
on 7/3/12 11:22 pm
I burp if i drink to fast lol but im still only on just optifast and water 3 weeks past op

pwoo10
on 7/3/12 11:52 pm - IN
RNY on 06/06/12
 My burps and hiccups are from eating to much to fast.  Gas isn't an issue for me.  It all will depend on you and your body and what you eat.

Most Active