I am scared

Loris
on 7/14/12 11:43 pm - Midlothian, VA
Every since I had a hip replacement 2/20 followed by a unrelated stroke 3/13, I am am totally turned off by food.

I am now being treated for numerous ulcers in my pouch.  I am repelled by food.  The  wonderful suggestions of what to eat were very appreciated,  but the idea  of eating or drinking shakes turns my stomach.  I manage two small meals a day.   I lose between a half to a quarter pound a day.

At 5' 5" and 125 I don't want to lose any more, but the concern is the rapidness of the weight loss the lack of nutrition ,weakness and the inability of the ulcers to heal without nourishment.

I am now starting to have vague pain in my lower abdomen.

I have an appt. with my gastro doctor on the 26Th.  My surgeon's NP is setting me up with the surgeon and dietian asap.  She says if I can't start eating they are going to put in a  tube.

I will consult with both doctors for alternatives.

I need support, please don't  think i have a body image problem.   I don't like my weight.  I am too thin for my taste and body type and have no stamina.

Thanks for reading.  LORIS

Loris  344/119@ 5'2" Below Goal                    
                                     Lower body lift  10/17/2007
                                     Upper body lift     1/23/2008

SueBee01
on 7/14/12 11:49 pm - Orange Park, FL
Lap Band on 01/30/12
I am glad that you are seeking assistance and hope that things turn around for you soon. You are going through a lot, hang in there. Keep us posted. I wish a speedy recovery for you.
 Sue

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/12 11:51 pm - Prosper, TX
  L, 

You didn't say that you couldn't cause it makes you sick, so this may be a mind or matter issue.
Just try small sips.  Maybe even incorporate some insure.  They make it in different flavors.  Again, small sips.  You may even try unflavored pedialite.  This will aleast give you back some electrolites.

What all have you tried?  Very concerned for you and will keep you in my prayers.

Melissa

shannn
on 7/15/12 12:28 am - Knoxville , TN
Okay, this will probably come across as *****y and you'll block me but I have to say it. "turned off" and "repelled" are emotional words not physical ones. If you just don't want to eater don't get pleasure from it ,  you're just going to have to suck it up and do it anyway. Think of food & shakes like medicine. We don't take medicine because we want it we take it because our bodies need it. Plug your nose and throw back a shake because your body needs food. Protein malnutrition is no joke and you don't need to deal with that on top of all your other issues. 

Tough love but great big gentle hugs too!! I hope it gets better for you soon! 
~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

Loris
on 7/15/12 3:45 am - Midlothian, VA
The thought of eating makes me feel like I am going to throw up.  all fod tastes either like sawdust or too salty or too sweet.  I can only eat very small amounts before I am very full.  Loris

Valerie G.
on 7/15/12 1:08 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Of course you're losing stamina - you're starving to death!  If you're unable or unwilling to nourish yourself, than I see no way around a feeding tube.  You've let this go way too long....which brings us to the question....are you unwilling or unable to eat?

If it's "unwilling", then it's time to take your head out of the game, altogether.  Feed yourself things that are nutritious and not painful.  Forget about seeking any kind of enjoyment from it.  I got no pleasure from food for a good 9 months after my DS, and I kept that mindset just in the name of health.  It passed, and I found enjoyment later.

If you're "unable", then stop fighting it, get the tube, and give your pouch the best opportunity to heal so you can get back to living your life asap.  

Either way I see it - you just have to disconnect the emotions out of it to make it easier on yourself.  Best of luck with this.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Loris
on 7/15/12 3:49 am - Midlothian, VA
I am unable to eat.  I want to know what's wrong with me, but will do tube feeding in the meaantime if both doctors concur.  Thanks

Judi J.
on 7/15/12 1:20 am - MN
Sounds like the feeding tube will save your life and give the ulcers a chance to heal. I've had a very small ulcer and I know sometimes it feels uncomfortable when I eat. Do you think it is discomfort/pain causing you to not want to eat?

I really think you should be upfront with the doctor and just take the feeding tube and let your insides heal Loris. Once healed, hopefully you will be comfortable eating again.

please keep us updated. Judi
MyLady Heidi
on 7/15/12 1:25 am
Loris,

You are lucky you are wherever you are and not close to me, because honestly if I was close to you I think I would slap you.  The fact you had life saving surgery and kept smoking makes me ******g insane, the stroke, direct relation.  I know this perfectly well my grandmother died after 8 years worth of strokes from a lifetime of smoking.  Hmmm now you have ulcers.  Wonder where those came from.  I am sorry, I am being *****y and mean about this but seriously you let this happen, you knew better, and you didn't want to give up what?  Killing yourself with cigarettes instead of food?  I never understand people who have wls and continue or restart smoking, I hope you got the message somewhere along the line and have now quit.  Now you have to focus on your recovery, you have to take in some nutrition and better find something that you can tolerate or your other option is a feeding tube and I doubt that is gonna be fun.  Suck it up and eat whatever gets the protein in.

Good Luck!
Ladytazz
on 7/15/12 4:51 am
Did I miss something?  I don't see where she says she smokes.  If she does then yes, it is very bad for her health and her surgeon should probably be reversing her surgery since it is risking her life if she can't stop smoking.
Also, is it 5'5" or 5'2"?  I hate it when there are these inconsistencies.  That is a big difference in BMI's as far as health goes.  If you are 5'5" and 125 your BMI is 20.8 and if you are 5'2" it is 22.8.  That makes a big difference in the status of your health.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Most Active