A warning from my long strange journey

Cheryl_H
on 7/21/12 3:43 am - New Castle, VA
Hello all.

I haven't posted for a long time, but there is something I really feel like I need to share with everyone about the pitfalls of gastric bypass surgery.

I am almost 3 years out.  My surgery went very well, there have been no complications.  I have been maintaining goal weight for about 1 1/2 years, my last labs were perfect.  The surgery has resolved my type 2 diabetes, my hypertension, my high cholesterol.  I am wearing sizes I have only ever dreamed of.

Sounds great, doesn't it?

Well, there has been some recent attention to the risk of alcoholism being greatly increased in gastric bypass patients.  I am here to tell you to pay VERY serious attention to this warning, whether you are pre-or post surgery.

Within 2 years of my surgery I was in a locked down detox ward and rehab.  I had always enjoyed drinking, but the minute I picked up a drink after surgery I headed toward full-blown alcoholism.  My last year has been a constant battle with this demon.  I am only 7 days out from the last bout of hideous withdrawal symptoms as I speak.

Alcohol notwithstanding, I have faced a whole new plethora of mental conditions and compulsions since my surgery, including excessive spending.  My emotional life is a mess.

I am not wishing to frighten off anyone from the surgery, that is not my intention.  After all, it saved my life. I have NO regrets about the decision to have it done. I am sure many of you are mentally healthy people for whom this will never be an issue.

But if your obesity is in part a manifestation of some deeper issues, I urge you to pay careful attention to the psychological aspects of this process.  I had heard the warnings, but my excitement about the solution to my lifelong obesity eclipsed any seriousness I had to approaching my mental health.

Do NOT hesitate to get help if you need it.

If you want to see the recent news article about alcoholism and gastric bypass, just search under "alcoholism and gastric bypass surgery" and you will see several entries on the subject.

Wishing all of you the best on your journeys,
God Bless!

Cheryl

Leslie Stout
on 7/21/12 3:52 am - IA
What a brave woman you are!  My heart is filled with empathy for your situation and I thank you for taking the time for speaking out about this problem to others who might be vulnerable.  The Lord be with you and I pray His best for you!
MyLady Heidi
on 7/21/12 3:53 am
Good Luck! 
Bette B.
on 7/21/12 4:14 am
 Cheryl:

Bless YOU for having the b*lls and the courage to post about your difficulties!

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

poet_kelly
on 7/21/12 4:33 am - OH
The study I read found 3.75% of RNY patients that were not alcoholics prior to surgery developed alcoholism post op.  I'm not sure that's a great increase, but it is certainly something to be aware of.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 7/21/12 4:49 am - Mira Loma, CA
A variety of new "vices" can appear after you've lost wt from surgery. You may have turned to food to solve depression, old trauma, needed to keep your hands or mind busy, etc.  You're likely looking to find something that gave your the same "boost" you got from eating as a preop.  Alcohol is one, but so are: retail therapy, gambling, prescription or illegal drug addictions, amonth others.  I know at least 4 members of the support groups I attend who publically speak about their battles with alcohol. But not everyone "airs their laundry", so it's likely there are several others in the same group with the alcohol challenges.  Male or female, it happens to both. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JUSTJUNQUIES
on 7/21/12 6:35 am - Citrus Heights, CA
RNY on 04/04/12
Thank you for sharing your story. I used to drink every day until a couple months before surgery , figured if I can't have it after , why have it now. I DO like to drink , but for now am not ,when I am  in the situations where I would enjoy a glass of wine I have had a Fuse drink in a wine glass. NOT as satisfying as the real thing, but it has worked so far .
I do not have an addictive personality but some part of me is afraid to have a drink , because you never know !!!
I know a 37 year old bypassed young woman with 2 small children who is DYING of cirrhos (sp)is of the liver because of binge drinking after bypass , her mom and her x have the children full time and she still does not stop drinking. I never thought something like this would happen to her , she is so smart and educated and never drank before the surgery , it is a sad story as she refuses help of any sort , figures if she is going to die , might as well be drunk doing it
Not every bypasser who has a drink will have a drinking problem, but I have seen my own daughters get caught up in the "fun" of drinking after bypass.
I wish you the best in your everyday struggle against addiction , and thank you so much for sharing your story

Donna Q. --5'8" -60 years old
Band 2005
hw320 sw276 lw with band 195 gw 160-180? 
Bypass 4/4/2012
pre sw 258 lw RNY 162 cw 203

Pinkchickadee
on 7/21/12 8:59 am
 Thanks  for  posting your  story  and being brave enough to be  honest  about your  struggle. I'll be  praying for you. 

Starting Weight:275 CW:189 SW:??  Goal:169

anewbeginning2012
on 7/21/12 10:59 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
 Cheryl- I am so glad you are getting the help you need - I am proud of you for conquering that demon. Thoughts and prayers your way girl. Thanks for sharing such a personal story...it will help lots of us who may go through what you are. It is very real.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 7/21/12 9:29 pm
This is an important message for all to hear.  Thank you for sharing it.
I do not think this is talked about enough by the professionals.  In all the classes I took it was never mentioned.  I brought it up in pre-op group therapy once and the psychologist brushed it off.

Winnie

Most Active