Food Gone--Then What?

Newpuppy
on 7/25/12 12:59 pm - Temple, TX
 Hello,

New here, considering surgery.  My fears:

If I can't use food to cope with stressful emotion,  what will I do?  How brutal will that feel?  I use food to deal with pain; take it away and won't I be plunged into pain?

If I haven't been able to find other ways to cope before surgery, how will I do so after surgery?
(Same thing with diet and exercise--when I read about the post-surgery program I think, gee, if I could do all that I wouldn't need surgery!)  I am afraid I won't be able to do it.

If you can relate, it would help me, I know, to hear how you managed your emotions after your surgery.  What can I do to make it an easier transition?

Thank you in advance.

Newpuppy/Karen
sterror83
on 7/25/12 2:10 pm - NY
 i had similar thoughts of this topic before surgery but not so much as a emotional eater, but i had an incredible appetite and was worried about such trivial things like how will i manage eating such small portions or man am I going to last not being able to have pizza for months?

and I always said I can just lose it on my own I just have to devote to a plan and that was usually followed with...Ill start me diet tomorrow right AFTER i goto an all you can eat buffet.

well i had to face the facts that if I could do it on my own I would have done it already and focused on idea that this isnt a easy step nor will it be easy, but its a step to help correct what I destroyed.  I had surgery in April and while I still get hungry every so often I see eating as more of a need to refuel my body.  does it suck sometimes not being able to eat that slice of bday cake at a party? mentally Yes but is it worth it? no bc I feel like a new person.

as far as excersizing goes you will be amazed by how much more active you become once you drop a few quick lbs.
poet_kelly
on 7/25/12 2:12 pm - OH
I thought sticking to the diet was a lot easier after surgery because after surgery I got full on a small amount of food.  I still do, almost four years post op.  Prior to surgery, I could not feel full on one cup of food.

I still have to make good food choices, I can't fill up on junk food.  But the surgery gave me a tool to help me with portion control.

The rapid weight loss that follows RNY also helped keep me from getting discouraged about my progress, which made it easier to stay on track.

As far as dealing with the emotions, I've been in therapy since before I had surgery.  I also participate in a  WLS support group that meets every week, which has been very helpful.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MyLady Heidi
on 7/25/12 2:35 pm
 For me being MO was the source of a lot of my pain, when I started losing weight and was never hungry it was thrilling, The first 4 years were a breeze, then things changed and eating the same things could cause gain and did.  I have to diet like a normal person now, and believe me I still get stupid with food.  Thankfully my rny makes me dump or I doubt I could remain as successful.  The thing is losing the weight is a huge game changer, you have to realize you will need to replace your coping mechanism with something healthy.  You can do it.
Most Active