vitamins

happymomma307
on 7/27/12 1:33 pm - OH
This might be something I should discuss with my Dr. before changing but I keep reading all these posts about chewable vitamins and I'm curious about this because I'm currently taking a bunch vitamins, a prenatal w/iron ( suggested by my nutricianist), biotin, b12, calcium w/ d and a chewable vit c, but the only chewable is the vit c. Am I not getting all the benefits of these because they aren't chewable? I had RNY on May 31.

poet_kelly
on 7/27/12 1:51 pm - OH
According to the ASMBS, we absorb vitamins that we swallow just fine.  It's more a matter of personal preference.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Dave Chambers
on 7/27/12 2:15 pm - Mira Loma, CA
FYI, the only chewable vitamin my surgeon strongly is against is vitamin C.  It takes the enamel off of your teeth.  Chewables tend to be pricey compared to pills or capsules, but again, it's a personal preference.  Many surgeons recommend chewable or liquid vitamins for the first 3 months, but you can do ok with pills.  B12 should be sublingual for best absorption.  Do NOT take your calcium and iron at the same time--you won't absorb your calcium well.  I would highly suggest a dry D3 supplement as low D is an issue for many post ops.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

happymomma307
on 7/27/12 3:13 pm - OH
Wow I didn't know that about vit c, that's the only chewable I was told to take. I did know about the B12 I was just finishing up a giant bottle I had already purchased. I take the iron in the morning and the calcium in the afternoon and evening so I seem to be okay there but what is dry D3?

southernlady5464
on 7/27/12 11:11 pm
Those of us with malabsorption can NOT absorb oil (read that as most gel based) vitamins. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin and the only way to get enough is to take the dry form. You can find the best D3 at vitalady who gets hers from Bio-Tech. It's the highest amount you can get.

And make sure you get copies of your labs...and try to get your numbers to the HIGH end of normal.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active