8 years ago had my revision surgery

Debra F.
on 8/5/12 2:49 am - Houston, TX
Friday was my 8 year surgerviseray... well revision surgery and believe me it has not been a walk through the park...

I am happy to answer any questions regarding surgery or revision or plastic survery...

I do not regret having a revision or my first surgery 13 years ago...

I have made a lot of friends on the way and been through my share of ups and downs...

For those just now starting the journey ASK questions ASK people that have had surgery and are further out than 5 years believe me most will tell you that it has not been a walk through the park.

but the friendships I have made through all these years are so worth it.
Debra
227/205/135 at goal
1st Surgery/Revision/Today
8/98 - 8/04 - today
Support Group Leader 
Co- Founder www.rydobesity.com
(deactivated member)
on 8/5/12 3:56 am - WA
what were you revised from and to? and why was it no walk in the park? tell your story please. (I am looking into revision from RNY Proximal to RNY Distal)
Debra F.
on 8/5/12 9:09 am - Houston, TX
my first surgery was the old vbg and i had to learn how to eat slider food or make sure i knew where the bathroom was cause i knew i was going to be throwing up... so my doctor advised me to get a revision because i was aniemic all the time i found a doctor to do my revision i did great my first 3 years and then slacked off didnt take my vitiamins for a year and believe me that was not a good thing... i went from 227 at my revision day down to 108 and stayed there for several years but did a number on my body not taking vitamins - was hospitalized a few times with memory loss and being anemic having to get iron infusions once a month -  i stayed in the hospital for a week having several test done and i kept telling them its my vitamins but you know some doctors want to run all the test to rule out one thing or another.... so everything was ruled out and of course once they did listen to me and check my vitamin levels i was so low on vitamin b, d, my iron, pretty much everything - once your levels go down its hard to get them back up and get healthy again....

Yvonne, Ramon and I had a conference in Galveston and I had just come out of the hospital from one of the low vitamin runs that i had been on and of course I dont remember much - I did speak about what i had been through which is not like me to get in front of a crowd and speak but i knew there were so many who were looking into surgery and i know that alot of times people dont research what they are really getting into that is why i say to ask people who are 5 years or further out not someone who just had surgery they are still learing what changes they are going to go through...

PLEASE TAKE YOUR VITAMINS...
Debra
227/205/135 at goal
8/98 - 8/04 - today
Support Group Leader 
MARIA F.
on 8/5/12 5:00 am - Athens, GA

Congrats on  your surgerversary!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Debra F.
on 8/5/12 9:10 am - Houston, TX
Thank you
Debra
227/205/135 at goal
8/98 - 8/04 - today
Support Group Leader 
suplav76
on 8/5/12 5:00 am - Warwick, NY
I had the lap band in january of 2010 and after an initial period of success I have slowly gained back all of the weight since 9/10. I am considering a revision to the RNY and I would appreciate any advice or info you could spare. Thanks, Mike
Debra F.
on 8/5/12 9:12 am - Houston, TX
Mike, please do your research on the surgery you are looking into... from what I understand the new sleeve is a good way to go... look up Dr. Alvarez email and ask him or Susan questions...

RNY is not a easy way to go... especially if you are not willing to do what you are suppose to for life - like take your vitamins for LIFE....

i posted on someone elses about what i have been through by not taking my vitamins...

please do your research
Debra
227/205/135 at goal
8/98 - 8/04 - today
Support Group Leader 
ChristyTal
on 8/5/12 10:10 am
Don't leave out researching the DS!

MARIA F.
on 8/5/12 1:17 pm - Athens, GA
On August 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM Pacific Time, suplav76 wrote:
I had the lap band in january of 2010 and after an initial period of success I have slowly gained back all of the weight since 9/10. I am considering a revision to the RNY and I would appreciate any advice or info you could spare. Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

That is very commone with the band. It has a very high failre rate. Most bandsters seem to revise to VSG. I am hoping to do the same.

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

MsBatt
on 8/6/12 11:29 pm
On August 5, 2012 at 12:00 PM Pacific Time, suplav76 wrote:
Mike, since you're still got a relatively intact stomach, look seriously at the DS. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50.
Most Active