RNY vs Sleeve

Barbi468
on 8/7/12 4:58 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I know the difference but as far as side affects, what is the difference.
I am wondering if I made the wrong choice, altho my surgeon doesn't recommend a sleeve for me because of my acid reflux...
But I am hearing that the Sleeve you don't have the chance of lactose intolerance and dumping and all that stuff that could happen with the RNY.
Input please. My surgery was moved to Thursday... I think this is all nerves talking but would help to talk about it and get everyones input.

Candy V.
on 8/7/12 5:19 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12
I am scheduled for my RNY on 9/12/12 I had the RNY recommended by my surgeon for the same reason. You dont want VSG if you have reflux/GERD. Think about the shape of the sleeve, my surgeon suggested that i think of the VSG shape as extending the esophagus(sp?). That cant help reflux. With the RNY the most acid producing part of the stomach is no longer directly attached to your esophagus.
I kind of ramble, sorry
Candy
Barbi468
on 8/7/12 5:23 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
don't be sorry, ramble away. It really helps me.
Thank you for your input. :)
GL with your surgery.
MsBatt
on 8/7/12 6:17 am
I personally think the Sleeve's a better choice than the RNY, simply because it preserves the pylorus and all normal stomach function. But yes, the RNY is considered the 'go-to' surgery for treating acid reflux.(And I think the DS is a better surgery than either of them. *grin*)

Only about 30 per cent of RNYers dump, but lactose intolerance is pretty common after ANY sort of surgery on your stomach. For some people it never happens, for some people it temporary, for some people it's permanent.

But what really matters is that you be confident that you're making the best choice for YOU. You shouldn't have any form of WLS until you're 100% certain you're doing the right thing.
sam1am
on 8/7/12 6:32 am
I agree with Ms Batt, if you are not 100 % sure, I'd postpone.  By the way, I had acid reflux before my VSG, worse after, but well controlled with Nexium.  No regrets, I LOVE my VSG!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

INgirl
on 8/7/12 2:49 pm, edited 8/7/12 2:49 pm
My GERD (medicated for the last 10 yrs) is no better, nor worse.. may actually be better actually- post sleeve. I am on 10mg generic Prilosec.. before I'd take otc Prilosec, which is 20mg iirc. Yes, RNY was suggested to me due to this issue- but weighing the facts, the sleeve was a better choice for me.
Candy V.
on 8/7/12 6:21 am - MI
RNY on 09/12/12
Input I have, anytime my friend, I like to talk lol

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/12 12:00 pm - WA
 I chose the sleeve because I get sick and it always ends up in my lungs and it results in me needing steroids to treat it. I like the idea of not rerouting my digestion but getting rid of the portion of my stomach that produces the hunger hormone. Good luck!!!
sassyscorpio
on 8/7/12 12:15 pm, edited 8/7/12 12:15 pm
The sleeve did cause me to become lactose intolerant but it went  away. My acid reflux is easily controlled with a PPI.

I would not want to take any chances of iron infusions and the other blood sugar problems that people with RNY seem to have.

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

lisa2job
on 8/7/12 1:32 pm - WA
VSG on 09/06/12
 there are pro's and con's to each surgery.  I was origianlly going to do the RYN but just today changed my mind when I went to a different doctor that took the time to tell me the Pro's and Con's to each .and what she thought would work best for me do to my medical history and medications I currently take that the sleeve surgery wont effect.   less invasive ,  quicker recovery ,  slower weight loss,   So now my decision is the sleeve.  My sister is going to do RYN......    plus you dont  risk the chance of vitamin diffeciancy with the sleeve ......   My doctor told me if I follow the rules and plan put in place by her I would loose almost the same amount of weight give or take 20 lbs.   
Most Active