B12 amount to take?

tinamarie_125
on 8/13/12 4:31 am
 I am 3 years post op, RNY. I have always taken b12 injections once a month. But the last time, I had a bad reaction to it. I am going to start taking the pills instead. Can y'all tell me how much you take? And is any over the counter fine?
Katrina1d
on 8/13/12 5:57 am - VA
 My surgeon recommends sublingual b12 in either 500mcg/day or 1000mcg 3x/week dosages
Dave Chambers
on 8/13/12 6:14 am - Mira Loma, CA
Each patient is somewhat different.  Example: my wife and I both are RNY and we both take 2500mcg sublingual B12. I take it 3-4 times a week, and my wife takes it daily.  My recent B12 labs were 2000, while my wifes were 1034.  She takes twice what I take and her labs are about half of my lab results.  You can take a lower dosage daily, or a larger dosage 3-4 times a week.  B12 will not deplete daily, but will drop like a rock if you get sick. You want labs for B12 to be at 1000 or more to your body can recover from illness easier.  Same with vitamin D. Take a dry D3 to keep you D to a target level of 80-100.  I kept upping my d3, based on labs, for years. 16 months ago, I began taking a 50K IU dry D3 daily. Labs about a month ago showed a 104, which my doc was happy to see.  Each patient's level of required D3 to maintain the 80+ numbers are different. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

poet_kelly
on 8/13/12 6:49 am - OH
The ASMBS recommends 350-500 mcg daily, but it needs to be a sublingual, not a pill that you swallow.  Some people need more than that, though, based on their labs.  What was your latest B12 level?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Allen Y.
on 8/13/12 11:38 am - Garland, TX
 Some pharmacys do have an oral B-12 drop or a sublingual pill you can dissolve in your mouth.

You can also order Bariatric Advantage Sublingual b-12 either direct from BA or Amazon. The BA is what my surgeon started me off on.

Have had ok labs with it.

tinamarie_125
on 8/13/12 11:47 am
 Ok I feel like a ding a ling. what's sublingual? Dissolves under tongue? I will call my dr and ask what my labs were. I thought it was just a set dosage for everyone. But I want to be sure. Thank y'all!
poet_kelly
on 8/13/12 2:10 pm - OH
Yes.  Sub= under, lingual = tongue.  It dissolves under the tongue.

The dosage isn't the same for everyone, but the ASMBS recommends 350-500 mcg for everyone starting out.  Then you would adjust your dosage based on your labs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Blue_Rattie
on 8/13/12 7:19 pm
I take 2500mg twice a week. I used to take daily, but my lab results were way too high. I also, of course, have B12 in my super B complex pill and two multis a day.
Karen
Karen ~ Had surgery 4-13-10!! Lost 30lbs in 3months pre-op
Highest 350 ~ surgery weight 297.5 ~ current 195 ~ goal 175 (August 2012)

Most Active