feeling depressed help!

kimandjosh
on 8/24/12 3:56 pm - oklahoma city, OK
 Doctor told me today to never ever eat carbs again! I don't feel this is realistic. I understand eating very few carbs and sticking to my protein and veggies but, I feel this deprivation will be my down fall and cause me to want binge eat carbs. Does anyone have advice to curb the carb cravings? 

Nic M
on 8/24/12 4:21 pm
Never is a really strong word. But once you eat fewer carbs, it becomes easier to resist them. At least, that's been my experience. It's like going through withdrawal... it gets easier as your habits change.

I agree... it's not realistic at all to tell someone they can "never" eat carbs again. And most people do eat them in moderation. You'll find what works for you and what doesn't.

Good luck! Take care.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

sam1am
on 8/24/12 4:48 pm
 I agree with Nic, never is a long time!  Did he/she just say carbs or a specific type of carbs, because you are going to find carbs in milk, yogurt, fruits, vegetables etc., etc., in healthy things. The non complex carbs like bread, sugar, chips etc., should be avoided forever...... if you can.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

k9ophile
on 8/24/12 5:17 pm
"Never" is unrealistic.  Your doctor knows that, you know that.The key is not total deprivation because as you are aware, it could lead to binging. Being aware of your limits is good.  Now you just have to find that happy spot between "never' and "OMG, I just ate a whole bag of Snickers."  Just remind yourself that every action you take has a consequence.  The more you are aware of the consequences, the easier it is to make the right choices.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

poet_kelly
on 8/24/12 7:59 pm - OH
What doctor told you never to eat carbs again?  Did he mean none, ever?  Because that would mean no bread, no grains, no milk, no beans, no fruits, no veggies - you'd have an extremely limited, and unhealthy, diet.

I recommend consulting with a registered dietician that can give you some realistic and healthy advice about your diet. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jennyrenny
on 8/24/12 8:09 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I am a serious carb-a-holic in early remission. My last simple carb was August 5. I ate half of a cake because I knew I was starting my preop fast the next day. That was 20 day ago and I am 13 days post-op. The first three days without carbs was hell. I was so grouchy, had headaches and was ready to throw in the towel. I'm glad I didn't.  Am already down 30 pounds and my cravings are gone. Gone. I have a fresh loaf of French bread on the counter and even if I could I don't think I would eat it (I am still on fluids). I want protein. Funny how when you slow down and listen your body will tell you what it needs.

Are my carb problems over? Hell no. My guess is that will always be my slippery slope. But can I do it? Hell yes. And so can you!

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

pineview01
on 8/26/12 7:42 pm - Davison, MI

My name is pineview and I too am a carb-a-holic!!

I just fell off the no carb wagon during our county fair August 9th. You name it I ate it as I was going to stop once the fair was over. Yeah right didn't happen. It just spiraled out of control.

After talking to therapist, I was able to do a complete withdrawal.  Yes, it is the same as withdrawal from any other drug.  I wasgrouch, had headaches, was crying and shaking before the first 48 hours where done.  After 72 hours without carbs things are getting better.  I was able to lose the nine pounds I gained during the 2 weeks of fair.  Plus I am down another 3 from my lowest before the carb binge.

Simple carbs are NOT my friend!

Hope the insight helps!

BAND REMOVED 9-4-12-fought insurance to get sleeve and won! Sleeved 1/22/13! Five years out and trying to get that last 15 pounds back off.

Most Active