dizziness/lightheadedness

slwths
on 9/2/12 7:45 pm
VSG on 08/27/12
  Has anyone else had major dizziness/lightheadedness on the pre-op diet and after surgery?  I am 1 week post op (sleeve) and have been so dizzy & lightheaded since day 2 of the pre-op diet. Please share your experience with this and when it goes away. I thank you!!

kathkeb
on 9/2/12 8:08 pm
Dehydration can lead to significant dizziness -- are you drinking almost constantly?

You should be working to get at least 4 ounces per hour (which doesn't sound like much, but it is usually tough following surgery).

If you are staying hydrated and getting enough protein, it could also be low blood pressure --- mention it to your doctor if it persists.

I went through a few months of having dizzy episodes - and chalked it up to my body adjusting to significant weight loss --- as my blood pressure stabalized from border-line high to border-line low.

My family members who are at a healthy BMI all have low blood pressure.
Kath

MickeyDee
on 9/2/12 8:56 pm
Make sure you stay hydrated; once you get too dry it might take an IV to get you back to normal.
Dave Chambers
on 9/3/12 5:47 am - Mira Loma, CA

This is a sign of dehydration. If your urine is a lot darker than before surgery, you KNOW you are being dehydrated. Unless you begin drinking more water (64 oz or more daily), you'll end up back at the hospital.  I never had any issues drinking water and no dizziness issues due to dehdration. BUT at around 6 months post op, I would feel very dizzy and have to old onto someththing or fall down. If nothing was available, I'd sit down right there to avoid falling. I even passed out a few times at home. My issue was finally diagnosed as low bp and I needed a pacemaker impant to correct the problem.  So if you overcome this dizziness issue and keep well hydrated, and yet experience severe dizzinesss in later months, see your doctor.  Meanwhile, keep drinking water, take your supplements, and make sure you get in your allowable protein sources on a daily basis. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

jennyrenny
on 9/3/12 5:14 pm - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 I am three weeks post op DS. I found that at about 6 days postop I started getting headaches and dizziness despite being very well hydrated. Turns out I just wasn't getting enough calories when I left the hospital and switched from juices to sugar free Gatorade and crystal light. 

HW: 365, SW (August 11, 2012): 351

Most Active