Has anyone shrunk (height?) after a large weight loss?

Mal
on 9/3/12 7:49 am
 After losing 175 lbs, it feels like I have lost some height.  Granted, I haven't taken a tape measure to myself, but my fiancee has commented about it also.  I am six feet tall (or I was! LOL) and now I can't reach things I could before I lost weight. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this? 

Mallisa?

Dave Chambers
on 9/3/12 8:10 am - Mira Loma, CA

I've heard of shoe size getting smaller, wearing smaller sizes with wt loss. But never "height loss" .  I would have thought it would be easier to reach items up high with wt loss.  I'd get a tape measure--I thought everyone had one of those.  Height decreases with age, osteoperosis, but wt loss?  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

_Leslie_
on 9/4/12 9:49 am - Franklin, WI
 I don't have a tape measure ??

448|180|199   
5'10"  268 lbs gone!!
                     SW  CW  GW   

Duodenal Switch                                      
                                   Surgery Date: July 30, 2010                      

Mendoza
on 9/3/12 1:38 am, edited 9/3/12 1:40 am - NY
I did I was 5'4 and now 5'2 1/2, so I think I shrunk but I prefer that rather to be super obesity.

kegafford
on 9/3/12 11:47 am
God I hope not. I am to short as it is :(

JJ_
on 9/3/12 2:10 pm
I can imagine it.  If your feet were fatter, with weight loss then you would be shorter.

Judy
Esta F.
on 9/3/12 4:57 pm - IL
RNY on 07/25/12
Actually i thought it was the other way around......when i was thin i was 5'9 and when i gained all the weight i only measured at 5'8 1/4, so hopefully i'll be back at 5'9 again real soon :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/3/12 8:47 pm - PA
 anyone remember the movies varsity blues, the big fat guy billy bob, he had RNY and lost so my fat on the top of his head and bottoms of his feet he lost a few inches in height
Amy D.
on 9/3/12 9:01 pm, edited 9/3/12 9:02 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
How far our are you? Osteoporosis is a real concern for post-ops so you might want to have a bone density scan to make sure you don't have any bone loss. Otherwise, depending on how fat your feet were, I guess you could have lost some height that way.

I have found that I'm "taller" since losing weight! Well, not really, but I can reach things better now that my tummy isn't in the way. I'm still only 5'2" tho, so I'll always be short!

Edited: for omitted word

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
lady_myst
on 9/4/12 6:32 am
I have been 5'9 since i hit high school.  One of the tallest girls in my class and I had to put up with all the jokes but secretly, i loved being tall and my long, strong legs were like they ONLY things i liked about my body other than my eyes and my hair.   I go in for another check up and they nurse says, we will call it 5'8 because you are not even a tick mark under.  WHAT!!!  but but...i have always been 5'9!  What do you mean under 5'8??  lol. I think there is something to this!  I did have bone density tests done and I am good.  So who knows.  My mom who is 74 cackles about not being the only incredible shinking lady in the family now.  sigh.  she was 5'4 at her tallest.  5' now. 

Most Active