Feelings

Diabolique
on 9/9/12 11:16 am - Las Vegas, NV
RNY on 09/19/12
How does it really FEEL after surgery?  Even with the cravings gone, foamies, dumping, distorted taste buds how does it FEEL to drive past McDonalds and not grab fries?  How does it FEEL to push away from the table after a few bites?  How does it FEEL to not have red wine to relax after work?
I am well aware that WLS is life changing but how does it FEEL when you are in the midst of these changes?
Zeigled
on 9/9/12 12:15 pm - Parkton, MD
It feels like I am in more control.  And it feels good.
HW 357 SW 341   

Jilly Bean
on 9/9/12 2:59 pm - IN
RNY on 07/09/12
On September 9, 2012 at 7:15 PM Pacific Time, Zeigled wrote:
It feels like I am in more control.  And it feels good.
 Wonderful answer!!!

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

RosieSweetie21
on 9/9/12 7:54 am, edited 9/9/12 8:05 am
I had the sleeve Dec '11- I never got foamies, dumping,distorted taste buds and I never drank- so I can't answer to any of that. But I can tell you I also never felt satisfied after eating before the sleeve- I was always hungry. I would diet but I was always hungry- so I would always regain the weight and more.  I feel extremely happy NOT to be controlled by hunger. I FEEL at PEACE now.  Also after losing over 150 lbs and weighing only about 157 lbs now- it is the greatest feeling in the world to FEEL NORMAL, again. People actually look me in the eyes and are no longer have a disgusted look on their faces. I am no longer judged or discriminated against because of my body size, and that FEELS GREAT(which is better than any french fry or cupcake can taste!)  Btw, I do not tempt or torture myself by having any of those gateway drugs- er foods- in my house..not even if company is coming, or if it is a holiday.

Everyone is different. A pre-op diet and counseling may be helpful for you to determine how YOU will feel.  For example, if you feel you need a glass of wine after work and you are told you should not drink, this may create a problem or depression.

The thing I was unprepared for is the amounts of comments from others.. But again- each of us is different. Many people love being complimented on their weight loss or commented on their diet or questioned about their exercise program. People even questioned and commented on how my spouse and family are handling my new look- which I found particularly annoying-whereas others may not. Good luck on your journey. 

needed to edit this- not to mislead anyone- my wt loss include pre-op diet that lasted a few mos.
DebsGiz
on 9/9/12 3:50 pm - FL

I've never had the foamies or dumping, but there was a change to my taste buds to a small degree.  I found that when I now crave things, they are generally healthier things.

How does it feel???

To describe how it feels would be a lot like putting words to what it feels like to be born.  There are no words, but the new life we are born into is wonderful.

Feralgirl
on 9/9/12 5:18 pm - Canada
RNY on 06/29/12
I FEEL FREE FROM THE GRASP OF FOOD!

Fast food smells like grease and old socks to me now! I used to binge on McDonalds, now I don't even blink.
Honestly I used to be a bottomless pit, always 'hungry'. Like frat boy hungry. I loved my melted cheese burgers with salty fries like a fish loves (needs) water.
I work in a grocery store and I don't even have urges when working the "fancy European chocolates" section. I'm more inclined to obssess over the new herbal teas ;)
I don't miss booze at all. There's no room for it (nutritionally) for me.

I can finally love and respect my body. Food is merely fuel, and I have entered a new relationship with my inner workings. It has replaced all my inner hate/self loathing.
I'm becoming the person I always dreamed I could be, and it sometimes makes my cry tears of joy. Ok I'm getting sappy...lol.

RNY Date - June 29th 2012

Gall Bladder out Jan 17 2013

MyLady Heidi
on 9/10/12 2:26 am
 It's ******g awesome!  Like you are in control of your life!
martitalinda
on 9/10/12 5:55 am
Totally awesome ... totally free ... to date (5 years 7 months out) I have not crave neither McDonalds nor fries but then I was never a great fan of theirs .. . it feels awesome to push my plate away to date still after a few awesomely enjoyable bites .... and after 18 months out I had no problem enjoying an occasional Chardonnay or Merlot and once in a while a Corona or a DosXX ... 

The changes are AWESOME ... I feel awesomely and totally free... Not to worry, it all falls into place...

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

autumnsiggy2RNY 2/5/07 no regain having implemented lifestyle changes....

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/12 12:12 pm
I agree with everyone else's comments on there that it is awesome and this surgery is a blessing. There are some days that are harder than others as far as food cravings go but because this surgeyr is an effective tool it is mostly head hunger that I can fight and no matter how bad things have gotten (I have thrown up plenty of times!), I  have no regrets other than not having done it sooner.

Before surgery I had a definite mourning period knowing I would be saying goodbye forever to eating large meals and the social aspect of food for the most part. I had a minor pity party a few weeks ago when I was sad about it as well and I posted on this forum about it. I still don't regret it even though it's not always easy - it's still awesome.

I've heard some say that "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels". I feel that is absolutely true.
Jenni_9yrspostop
on 9/11/12 4:32 pm
After 11 years it still feels GREAT. I don't dump, I don't give in to cravings - except for cheese sticks. I don't get foamies -or haven't for about 7 or 8 yrs, I don't dump and my tastebuds are fine thank you. LOL. I don't drive past McDonalds - I occasionally go in, get a kids burger and eat it without the bun - I have a french fry or two and I'm completely satisfied. It feels great to be full - unless it's something I really love, but then I get it for another meal or two or three so it's ok.
I do have red wine -in moderation. I didn't do all these things when I was a newbie, but after the first year when I had gotten better eating habits in place, had my post op diet and menu under control then I was able to indulge in things I never thought I could again. I eat almost everything I ate before surgery - just in moderation. The changes are gradual and actually made me feel better - enough to be motivation to continue on. It's amazing to go out to eat with friends and realize there is actually a conversation going on at the table! And you can join in - when food isn't the central focus of every waking moment other things become more clear and more important.
I never believed the post ops I talked to before my surgery that said your taste buds change, you won't crave your favorite things and you'll always be full but they were right. It's been fairly easy for me - it's been an amazing adventure, and I'd do it over again every single year in order to feel this good. You realize how much food you need to survive -- not how much you can stuff in. You learn better quality foods make you feel better. You learn what full is and you learn how to listen to your body. I feel great, I'm active, healthy and have more energy than I ever thought possible. for me the changes were minimal and I looked forward to them. It's a fantastic ride and I hope you can enjoy it as much as I have!
Jen 11 yrs post op RNY last week.
Most Active