OT: Kindergarten

Hislady
on 10/3/12 7:53 am - Vancouver, WA
Ok I know life is different than when I was a kid but dang my great grand daughter just started kindergarten and has to read Charlottes Web and do a book report on it! Huh? She went to pre school but they only learned what the letters were and to count top 20. She can't read yet much less a 100+ page book, I didn't learn to read till 1st grade and then it was super basic. Just seems crazy to me, am I that far out of the loop?
k9ophile
on 10/3/12 9:47 am
Bwahahahaha!  I'm so old my first grade reading was limited to the "See Dick.  See Spot."  readers.  Yeap, good old fun with Dick and Jane.  I think kids are exposed to more things than we were, yet a book report in first grade?  Sounds crazy to me.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

Amy D.
on 10/3/12 10:24 am - VA
RNY on 03/13/12
Wow, my son is in kindy and they are still learning the alphabet and sight words and things of that nature. Definitely no book reports.That seems like a lot of work....for the parents!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
MsBatt
on 10/3/12 11:06 am
GREAT-granddaughter??? You're not that old.

But as to the book report---I think this is GREAT! "Charlotte's Web" is a wonderful book, and I'm all in favor of teaching kids to read as early as possible. How old is this kid?

Really, really---it's so GOOD to get them reading as arly as possible. Reading is one of my greatest pleasures in life. (It's right up there with eating! *grin*---And sex!)
Hislady
on 10/3/12 1:43 pm - Vancouver, WA
Yep I'm THAT old! heehee I agree Charlotte's Web is a great book, it's just that she only learned her letters in pre school and no reading there, so she doesn't know how yet. So I just don't get how they can do a report when they can't read and don't know how to write yet.
Jackie McGee
on 10/3/12 11:15 am - PA
I think that's great, but my big girl is smart Can't wait for her to get to school age.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

MsBatt
on 10/3/12 12:30 pm
Jackie, is your big girl ready to eat? How 'bout your little boy?

I've got a small dog that's almost table worthy. (*grin*)

Oh---and my nephew has moved into my town, and he has a 10-month-old, too-sweet-to-eat baby girl. I'm thinking mint jelly, 'cause she's such a lamb. (*grin*)
Jackie McGee
on 10/4/12 12:14 pm - PA
Mischa's 20 months now and she's pretty tender - I'll send you a leg!

Gabe's still cooking. I think at 6 months he's still a bit tough. He's still up every 3-5 hours at night so I don't think he's being properly basted.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Hislady
on 10/3/12 1:39 pm - Vancouver, WA
Yep I'm afraid I'm of the Dick and Jane era too. Someone asked how old she is, 5 and just started kindy a month ago. I'm with you MsBatt rewading is awesome and her mom has read to her for years even before she had a clue what was being said. However she's just learned her letters and doesn't have a clue how to read yet and I can't believe she's the only kid in the class that doesn't read. I'm a big proponent of reading, so is her mom because she was pulled out of school at middle school level and had to work hard to catch up in high school and then got yanked out of there too. So she is very much into making sure the GGD gets a good education. I'm glad to hear tho that most kids aren't going thru this, even little miss uber smart.
MsBatt
on 10/3/12 2:02 pm
I was born in 1958, and I remember learning to read by...reading. I'm from the Dick and Jane----and SPOT!---era. I clearly remember sitting in a circle with other first-graders, and being told to read as far as I could in the book.

Reading has been the best joy in my life. Help your g-g-baby enbrace it.

I grew up in a very small town, where the total enrollment in the local school was, as best, 100 kids. My first-grade class was 14 kids, and by the time we reached the 8th grade, there were only 7 of us.  5 of us went on to high school---and 4 of us finished in the top ten.

Why? Because our teachers taught us to READ. They MADE us read. When there are only three teachers for 8 grades, kinds have to find something to DS---and out teachers made us READ. (I read the entire Encyclopedia Britannica during my 5th and 6th years in school.)
Most Active