Horrible day - sick at beginning of week 2

leolady12
on 10/8/12 3:26 am
RNY on 10/01/12

Hello. 

I started week two and my paperwork said I could add greek yogurt, applesauce and oatmeal to my liquid diet I was on.  I was doing well so I had a tablespoon of oatmeal around 1 p.m. and felt fine.  Then about 2 1/2 hours later I had a protein shake that I have already been drinking during the week.  For dinner, I thought I would have some skim milk and applesauce (for first time).  The applesauce started backing up but did not come up on the way.  Then the gas, pain and cramps kept getting worse.  My husband took me outside to walk but that did not help.

By 10:30, I was beside myself and did not know what to do.  I finally decided to take the liquid pain medicine they gave me.  Since it tastes bad, I went and brushed my teeth and threw up.

Now I am so scared to add anything new to the liquid diet because that was so painful.

I thought if something was going to bother you, you would know quicker than 4 1/2 hours.  Isn't dumping usually from sugar?  I did not have any sugar.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

missmomof4
on 10/8/12 5:51 am
RNY on 09/10/12
 Was the applesauce sugar free? If not then yes that was probably what caused it. If it was sugar free, then your body just didn't like it and maybe you can revist that food in the future, but I would stay away from it for now. good luck to you

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
Valerie G.
on 10/8/12 9:22 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Don't underestimate the power  of lactose intolerance.
Now, when introducing new foods, it's best to do it 1 new item at a time so you know exactly what to blame when you get a bad reaction.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

hollykim
on 10/9/12 8:37 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
applesauce and milk both ave sugar in them...natural sugar from the apples and milk sugars,natural yes,but sugar all the same. it could very well have been dumping.
GL

Most Active