Is Medicaid approval difficult?

naplesmom
on 10/11/12 8:34 am - FL
 I live in Florida. I am starting to research weight loss surgery at this point. I have straight Medicaid. I was wondering, is it difficult to get approved by Medicaid? Any thoughts, or insight would be greatly appreciated...  Thank you.
Jackie McGee
on 10/11/12 12:50 pm - PA
 No, not at all. 

You just have to make sure you go through your PCP, so start by talking to your primary care doctor. 

After that, you will most likely have a 6 month "don't gain any weight" diet to prove you can stick to a regimen of diet and exercise.

After that, your surgery should be scheduled quickly.

The main thing is that any referrals to a weight loss surgeon, dietician, sleep study clicnic, psychologist/psychiatrist for a psych eval, etc. has to come from your primary care doctor. As long as you follow that, you will get approved and be covered.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Tia T.
on 10/11/12 4:35 pm
The six month wait is hard! Perhaps you are more patient than myself and it won't be as bad for you. Good luck on beginning your journey!
                                Looking for my inner peace

Cari26
on 10/11/12 10:37 pm - FL
VSG on 01/28/13
I also live in Naples Fl and I have medicaid but with the surgeon that I am using it has to be medicaid/medipass. I just started the process but so far I just need 3 months of seing the nut and I have an appointment with the surgeon on Nov 20 and that is going to be me 2 time seing the nut then I guess that the surgeon will tell me what else I need.

You also need a referal from your doctor.

Carilyn     

Most Active