Preparing chicken

leolady12
on 10/12/12 11:57 am
RNY on 10/01/12
Hi - I am in stage 2 and it says I can have chicken, tuna fish or tender fish.  I am not a big fish fan.  I have heard that people have trouble tolerating chicken and that it needs to be really moist.  Could I get recommendations on how to prepare chicken to make sure it is very moist?

sam1am
on 10/12/12 10:39 pm
I like to put skinless boneless chicken in my slow cooker, in chicken broth (or veggie broth) and poach for hours with veggies to make a light stew.  You could also add a low fat (or fat free) gravy mix to it or any other cooked chicken to moisten it.  You can grind up cooked chicken and add mayo or greek yogurt to it to moisten it at well.  Dark meat is always more moist as well.

Best wishes! 

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

leolady12
on 10/13/12 5:50 am
RNY on 10/01/12
Thanks. How long do you cook in the slow cooker? How do you buy just dark meat?

Stephanie M.
on 10/13/12 5:44 am
 For chicken, I use boneless skinless thighs...they do great and are usually a great size, 3-4 oz each.  

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

KatMom
on 10/13/12 6:44 am
RNY on 07/24/12
I use boneless chicken thighs with gravy, lots of gravy. I'm just a few days short of 3 months post op and chicken still is iffy. Can you have turkey? Chili? Cottage cheese and string cheese were good too. Eggs never sat well for me but others here love them.
 He who has a why to live can bear almost any how.  ~Friedrich Nietzsche 

Valerie G.
on 10/14/12 5:19 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 Many fresh post-ops have discovered that chicken breast might not be the easiest meat to eat. I've got a couple of suggestions for y'all, and some of them work on any meat, but the mention of chicken comes to mind the most as I just read about someone's struggles with chicken early out.

Best Advice Ever!
Pound your meat!! Place the breast filet between wax paper or in a Ziploc and pound it with a flat mallet or rolling pin until it's about 1/4-1/2 inch thick. This breaks up the fibers in the chicken, making it easier to chew.

Brine your meat!
I do this with chicken as well as pork. Soak in sal****er, garlic and spices (I also do Worcestershire) for about 30 min. It makes it nice and juicy.

Slow cook your meat!
Cook on low, poach, or bake with sauce.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active