Lap band failure

Angie68
on 10/14/12 9:50 am - Economy, IN
Hello. I had lap band 4.5 yrs ago & lost 100 lbs. After having it for 2 yrs I got a really bad stomach flu. I had terrible vomiting & diarrhea. Shortly after this I started having problems with my band. Long story short I had such a bad slip that my band had to be removed & could not be put back on. My surgeon told me at the time that I should have some sort of gastric bypass done. I wanted to wait and see if I could keep the weight off. Well of course I didnt. I have gained a little over half the weight back. I refuse to be that size again. I am wanting to look into GBS. Here is where my concern is. I am on Medicare. I am only 43 but  on SSD for a health problem. Will Medicare balk at paying for a second surgery? They were really easier than most other ins as far as paying for the band. Just wondering if they will say you had your chance too bad so sad. Has anyone had or heard of Medicare paying for a second surgery?
molly3613
on 10/14/12 11:09 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13
Medicare will only pay for one surgery. I also had a lap band in 2009 that failed. I paid for it myself as it was pre Medicare. So when Medicare kicked in this year I called them and they said I was covered but they only pay for one WLS. I have gone through the approval process with the surgeon's insurance person and the first thing he said was Medicare pays for one. I told him I paid for the lap band myself as it was pre Medicare. Boy am I glad. This bypass is far more costly.
Angie68
on 10/14/12 11:14 am - Economy, IN
I figured this would be the case. Darn it!
walterswife
on 10/14/12 1:49 pm
 I would still call them. There might be an exception in a situation in which you need a second surgery through no fault of your own. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/12 12:43 am
On October 14, 2012 at 4:50 PM Pacific Time, Angie68 wrote:
Hello. I had lap band 4.5 yrs ago & lost 100 lbs. After having it for 2 yrs I got a really bad stomach flu. I had terrible vomiting & diarrhea. Shortly after this I started having problems with my band. Long story short I had such a bad slip that my band had to be removed & could not be put back on. My surgeon told me at the time that I should have some sort of gastric bypass done. I wanted to wait and see if I could keep the weight off. Well of course I didnt. I have gained a little over half the weight back. I refuse to be that size again. I am wanting to look into GBS. Here is where my concern is. I am on Medicare. I am only 43 but  on SSD for a health problem. Will Medicare balk at paying for a second surgery? They were really easier than most other ins as far as paying for the band. Just wondering if they will say you had your chance too bad so sad. Has anyone had or heard of Medicare paying for a second surgery?

What is your BMI now?  Would you even qualify for surgery assuming Medicare would pay for 2 surgeries?
MsBatt
on 10/15/12 1:29 am
I've seen many people post here that Medicare paid for their revision. Call Medicare directly.
Angie68
on 10/15/12 12:47 pm - Economy, IN
Thank you MS I will do that tomorrow.
Most Active