Undecided now!! Help!

rissa1224
on 10/17/12 11:18 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
So last night I went to another seminar, with my surgeon this time. Basically i dont think I should get the lap band. My BMI is higher than what he suggests banders should be and in the long run it wouldnt be 'best fit for me'.

Now I am undecided between the sleeve, and the bypass. Everyone I know who had the bypass said to do the sleeve. Any suggestions??
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/17/12 11:29 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I chose the sleeve after months of research and because for my lifestyle malabsorption and all that goes along with it will not work, but its a very individual choice...although if people u know who had the bypass say that u shd get the sleeve, I'd listen...haven't heard many sleevers say the reverse....

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

rissa1224
on 10/17/12 11:31 pm - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
How was your recovery? How do you feel 'mentally' and how did you feel after the surgery with the sleeve? I havent done much research at all on it because I have never considered it before, its kind of scared me, honestly. To see that you will lose the majority of your stomach and never get it back. What are some restrictions? Are they similar to the bypass?
Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/17/12 11:48 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
Recovery was easy. I had pain meds for 12 hrs after surgery and then it was fine. But again, this is very individual. You should read over on the VSG board and talk to some of the Veterans. Yes 85% or thereabout of your stomach is removed and you never see it again...but why would you want to? Restrictions...what do you mean? The sleeve is a restrictive surgery, meaning you are restricted in the quantity of food you can consume at any one time. There is no restriction on the type of food but of course, as with all WLS its good to avoid processed food, simple carbs, sugars, fats...
Mentally I feel absolutely great, like a new page in my life is before me and I am no longer looking backwards but forward. I also chose the sleeve because I do not want any malabsorption. If I were going to get a malabsorptive surgery I would get a DS over an RNY because I think keeping the pyloric valve is super important.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Valerie G.
on 10/18/12 9:57 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 The only part of the stomach missing is the stretchy "storage" part.  All working parts, like the plyoric valve still remain, so the stomach is still working as designed but doesn't hold as much.  My DS has a sleeve stomach and its very easy to live with.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

PatXYZ
on 10/18/12 12:10 am
How come you're not considering the DS as well?
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
rissa1224
on 10/18/12 12:14 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12
Thank you for the input!!

I honestly dont know anything about the DS. What is that?
(deactivated member)
on 10/18/12 2:12 am
GAH.

Please go to www.dsfacts.com to learn more about the DS. 

Please.

Know ALL of the options available to you before you decide.  FWIW, I wouldn't wish a lap band on my worst enemy, but that's me.

Good luck.
rissa1224
on 10/18/12 2:18 am - NJ
VSG on 12/05/12

So, is the DS the sleeve plus the 're routed' like the bypass?

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 10/18/12 2:32 am
VSG on 10/09/12
Its a sleeve plus intestinal rerouting but not at all the same as the bypass. Go to dsfacts.com and read about it.

Most Active