Help my surgery is on Nov.3

Rua07
on 10/18/12 5:31 pm - Canada
 Hi there, I feel so lucky to find you guys:-) I am going to have the sleeve surgery on Nov. 3 by God's will and I am so exited to the upcoming change, but I have to mention that I am scared too I am scared of the pain, and the complications after surgery and wanted to ask whoever had the surgery before: - how long did the pain last for? Days or weeks?or more -did you have any complications after the surgery? - is there any foods that you will be restricted from for life? - how is life afterwards? If you get invited for a dinner or something will that be embarrassing? I am 5.2 and I weight 212 my BMI is almost 40. I am going to have the operation here in Dubai before I go back home ( Canada) almost 11 days, so another question is raised here - will 11 days be enough for recovery? I am going to fly for 14 hours after that alone with 2 children ( 5 and 2.5 years old)  I would like to thank anyone who would leave me an answer or an experience in advance.
labbylover
on 10/19/12 1:17 am
I did not have the sleeve - had by-pass - recovered really well within about 1 week.  I was alone with my young child the day I came home - I am a single mom.  I was able to care for her and myself immediately. Having said that I tried to get as much rest as possible -  was not able to drive for ten days - but returned to work as a teacher after two weeks.  Be brave! 
Rua07
on 10/19/12 6:48 am - Canada

Dear  labbylover  you got me in tears when you said you were alone when you got back home with your child, you must be a troupe r  ,thank you for your advice and encouragement and for the time you delicated to reply me :)

Valerie G.
on 10/19/12 10:05 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 2 weeks may be fine yet exausting for travel, but when you get home, be very careful with the baby.  You shouldn't lift/push/pull anything more than 8 lbs for a good 8 weeks, so get on the floor and let the baby crawl all over you, but don't pick them up.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Rua07
on 10/19/12 7:47 pm - Canada
 Thanks a lot for the info. I really didn't know about this!  I will try not to take anything with me on board (but my kids of course ;) ) and my youngers is a great runner now and I don't cary him that much as before.
I have a question for you though, did you do the pre-op diet? they didn\t ask me to do it and now that I am reading a lot on this website I am confused  and dont know if i should do it on my own or not? is it that important ? Please advice.

Valerie G.
on 10/20/12 11:50 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
Many surgeons want you to diet to shrink the liver to make it easier to maneuver the tools around it during a lap procedure.  My DS was open, so it was unnecessary.  My surgeon only asked that I eat nothing after midnight.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

KathyA999
on 10/20/12 6:16 am
My BMI was 39-point-something, and my surgeon didn't require a pre-op diet for anyone under 40, so I didn't do it.  If your surgeon doesn't require it you don't have to although you could.

One of the reasons I chose my surgeon was that his program requires a three-night stay in the hospital (in addition to his vast VSG experience and great stats).  I thought that was good, just in case any very early complications came up.  As it turned out, it was a completely trouble-free recovery.  I had pain and discomfort the first couple days, especially the same day of surgery, but by the time I left the hospital I was glad to get out because I was feeling so good and was bored. 

I have had zero complications and zero food intolerances.  There's nothing I can't eat (although a wide range of thing's I DON'T eat).  I lost 110 lbs or thereabouts and have maintained that for a while now.

The surgery didn't change how I interact with people at dinners and parties.  My family and friends know about my surgery (work doesn't), and I have found that no one cares what I'm eating or how much, or at least no one says anything.  I think most people don't even notice - it's a social experience, people are laughing and having a good time.  (I will say this, though, I wasn't much of a drinker before surgery and still am not, so I don't have experience in bars or out dancing where people are doing a lot of drinking - just meals at restaurants and at people's homes that involve a little wine.)  I eat what I eat and that's that.  One time a bunch of us went to a pizza restaurant, and I ate the toppings off probably five or six slices and left the crust.  No one cared or said anything.

Good luck!

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Most Active