Stage 3 - Veggies and fruits questions

leolady12
on 10/30/12 5:43 am
RNY on 10/01/12

I am in stage 3. My doctor said I can start trying to eat vegetables and fruits with seeds.  However, I was also advised that there fruits with skins are hard to digest and certain vegetables (ie: broccoli) are hard to digest.  Does anyone have any comments on what vegetables and fruits to be wary of and which ones are easy to digest?

Thanks.

Dave Chambers
on 10/30/12 11:21 am - Mira Loma, CA

Raw veggies are far more difficult to digest. If you want raw veggies, plan on some issues.  Cooked veggies are much easier to digest.  Cooke broccoli is easy to digest, but it usually causes a lot more gas than many like to experience.  Check a chart online about sugars in fruit.  Grapes, pineapple, mangos are pretty high in sugars. My surgeon said no grapes or pineapple.  If you like fruit juices, make sure you dilute it. A small glass of OJ has the juice contents of about 8 oranges. It would be far better to eat an orange than have one glass of OJ from the sugars content point of view.  Dave

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

JJ_
on 10/30/12 8:02 pm

I started out with cooked and mashed squash, carrots and cauliflower.  Then I added cooked broccoli, beans and of course tomato sauce :)

For fruit, I started added the no sugar added diced peaches or pineapple to my cottage cheese.  YUM  As with all foods, you need to do it by trial and error and see how YOU react to each newly added food.

Have fun as you explore!  I enjoyed the different stages of adding food back in.

Judy

(deactivated member)
on 10/31/12 5:54 am

I ate  raw baby spinach and raw baby salad greens  from the get-go with fat free dressing of course !  I LOVE my vegetables ...raw  , cooked , steamed , sauteed ANY KIND OF WAY !! 

My  WLS  really makes me appreciate EVERY bite of delicious organic ( often homegrown and super fresh and tasty )  food ! 

In the beginning ... you might want to steer clear of the nutrition containing skins  and make sure U each bite thirty full times .  Its a REAL  discipline trying to do that but it helps U get maximum nutrition and slows down Ur eating ... I at least used to INHALE  my food and then go back for seconds and thirds ... now I just eat a much smaller quantity SLOWLY  

Most Active