S.O.S. I am in trouble!!!

neikoredsko
on 11/14/12 11:56 am, edited 11/14/12 11:58 am
I am into my fifth yr of wls and within the past yr I have gained back 40 lbs in that yr. I cannot consume more then the average amount of food from the beginning but things have taken a total different direction in my life. When I had surgery in 2007 my boyfriend of 10 yrs. commited suicide blamming me, I know it was not my fault but I lived in depression for 3 yrs out of surgery.I finally made the choice to leave my home and security and try to find myself and i need to say all along I lost weight because of surgery but not really in a healthy way. Long story short I met someone who is my whole world and in this past yr being together and happy I have gained back weight. Any pointers tips anything I will appreciate and adhere, I feel I once again have failed and need help! my name is Stacey!<br />
Mary Catherine
on 11/14/12 2:39 pm

Stacey,

50% of RNY post-ops have gained about 50 pounds by year 5 and they don't go through what you went through.  Losing the weight again will take some hard work and a lot of time, but it can be done.   Give yourself a reasonable and doable goal, maybe try to lose one pound a week for the next year.  You still have your tiny stomach and some of your malabsorption left.  Get some support.  Look into Weigh****chers, Overeaters Anonymous, TOPS and/or counseling.  

You can do this, but don't be hard on yourself.  

poet_kelly
on 11/15/12 12:55 am - OH
On November 14, 2012 at 10:39 PM Pacific Time, White Dove wrote:

Stacey,

50% of RNY post-ops have gained about 50 pounds by year 5 and they don't go through what you went through.  Losing the weight again will take some hard work and a lot of time, but it can be done.   Give yourself a reasonable and doable goal, maybe try to lose one pound a week for the next year.  You still have your tiny stomach and some of your malabsorption left.  Get some support.  Look into Weigh****chers, Overeaters Anonymous, TOPS and/or counseling.  

You can do this, but don't be hard on yourself.  

I'm wondering where you get the stat that 50% of RNY patients gain 50 pounds by five years post op.  The studies I've seen show better results than that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 11/15/12 12:20 pm

Kelly,

It as a study that I read on this board about five years ago and it is etched in my mind.  I did try to find it today with no luck.  Every time I meet someone who has gained back all or most of their lost weight, my heart goes out to them.

DebsGiz
on 11/14/12 7:48 pm - FL

I agree with White Dove.

There is no magic bullet, so you're going to have to put in the effort to get the weight back off.  Yuck, I know...

Wishing you much more happiness going forward!!

Carol S.
on 11/15/12 6:06 am - Milwaukee, WI
On November 15, 2012 at 3:48 AM Pacific Time, DebsGiz wrote:

I agree with White Dove.

There is no magic bullet, so you're going to have to put in the effort to get the weight back off.  Yuck, I know...

Wishing you much more happiness going forward!!

This.  You can do it though.  I did.  2005 found me having gone from 152 to 235.  It's 2012 and I'm at my goal.  148lbs give or take.  I put in the work.  I work out hard and eat whole foods.  I love it!  All that sweating keeps my mental health issues in check and clean eating keeps my body in check. Surgery was in 2003.  I started at 276 ish..

Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

sonjahoff
on 11/15/12 5:59 am - Lancaster, CA

It is very true most WLP gain some weight back, I can offer some helpful suggestions.  Going to a support group is wonderful as all of us fight the same fight that the outside world doesn’t understand.

We become complacent with what we eat so track every bite you put in your mouth for a while to get a true number of calories and fat calories you are eating a day, most important be honest with yourself and remember you don’t have to share that info with anyone.  Someone in group once asked “do you count the cream you put in your coffee”, lol never thought of that so yes to get a true amount write it all down. 

What helps me maintain my weight for the last 9 years is eating no sweets as sugar is addicting and when I start I can’t stop.  No more than 3 grams of fat to every 100 calories.  Every bit of activity helps like parking your car at the far end of the lot and walking to the market, walking and getting the mail and so on.

Eating balanced meals not only is the healthy way but to my surprise my cravings went away, as soon as I get off that I start craving all kinds of things and have very little control. 

Hope this is a little helpful; we truly is a struggle every day. 

Sue K.
on 11/24/12 11:20 am - Rock Hill, SC

I have been so bummed and hate myself for gaining some weight back.  I have a hard time losing weight, as I work overnights and my schedule is horrible.  I have also lost my father a year ago and was too far away to see my before passed away.  I just wanted to get back on track and not feel like I am so stupid and I am so embarrassed for not losing all the weight and gaining back some.  

HW-320/CW-270/GW-145

neikoredsko
on 11/16/12 4:33 am

I have not gone to any support groups since the begining and I want to thank everyone for responding. I have just been terrified inside that I am not going to be able to reverse this now. I think I will look up my local support group and give it a chance.

Most Active