Pouch

obsessedoveranumbe
r

on 11/8/12 9:23 pm

Do our pouches shrink and grow according to how much we eat? How long after eating can I drink? I want to keep the nutrients from food and not wash them away.

denise0530
on 11/8/12 9:39 pm - PA
RNY on 05/16/12

Our surgeon told us an hour.

Denise Marie SW 248 CW 156 Roux-en-Y 5/16/12                        

JP23
on 11/9/12 5:44 am
RNY on 07/10/12

I was told 30 minutes & my grandma was told 45.  We both had the same surgery just a different surgeon.  From what I've read it's different per surgeon

poet_kelly
on 11/9/12 7:29 pm - OH

You won't wash the nutrients away.  Nutrients aren't absorbed in your pouch, at least most aren't.  They are absorbed in your small intestine.  Drinking with your meals would just get the nutrients to your small intestine where they would be absorbed even faster.

The problem with drinking with meals is that it washes food out of your pouch, though, and when your pouch is empty, you'll get hungry again.  So drinking with meals can make you hungry sooner and lead to eating too much.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ruth S.
on 11/9/12 11:34 pm - Orlando, FL

I have been told 15, 30 and 45 min. But I guess it depends how you feel after eating. Once in a while I may drink a sip or two during a meal if it feels like its getting stuck but I try to at least wait 15min...if Im feeling REALLY full then I wait longer. Though there is no rule for it if you're still feeling full - go ahead and wait. And yes they don't wash away - nutrients are absorbed in the small intestine.

Ruth S.
MultiMom
on 11/10/12 8:14 am - NH

This is a great video that helps with understanding the "Don't drink with your meals" rule.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR0VM3mnsgM

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Most Active