Gastric Bypass and IBS v. Crohn's Disease

ImDun
on 11/14/12 2:39 am
RNY on 02/26/13

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend whom I recently discovered is taking the same route as me, although we are going to different hospitals.  I was very excited because she was a head of me with her pre-testing and requirements and thought she'd be able to guide me when it was my turn for surgery.

She just saw her GI doctor and they now think instead of IBS she may have Crohn's Disease.  They were willing to do the surgery with IBS, but she doesn't think they will if it's Crohn's.  She hasn't seen her bariatric surgeon since this all came about.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Deb

Valerie G.
on 11/14/12 3:15 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Chrohns is a disease in the bowel, so a RNY may not be an option, but something like a VSG may be possible

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

ChristineB
on 11/14/12 8:13 am - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On November 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM Pacific Time, ImDun wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend whom I recently discovered is taking the same route as me, although we are going to different hospitals.  I was very excited because she was a head of me with her pre-testing and requirements and thought she'd be able to guide me when it was my turn for surgery.

She just saw her GI doctor and they now think instead of IBS she may have Crohn's Disease.  They were willing to do the surgery with IBS, but she doesn't think they will if it's Crohn's.  She hasn't seen her bariatric surgeon since this all came about.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

Deb

Due to the malabsorbtion they might do RNY on her. I agree that the VSG might be a better option for her - no rearranging of the small bowel.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Most Active