Psych eval.. what does it involve?

mzlaura
on 12/9/12 12:47 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

I know different places do it differently but what should i expect overall? I am a bit nervous about it. I have severe depression and i am currently on wellbutrin have been over a year now. But back in 2001/2002 i got hospitalized for severe depression and did something very stupid to myself because of the depression. I have a feeling the doctor will ask me about hospitalizations and i would hope this wouldn't hold me back from getting my surgery. I mean this happened 10-11 years ago. I have since grown up a ton of course the depression is still there but it's being managed on antidepressants and with my continued weight loss. Also i am having some marital issues i have been for YEARS.. i am afraid they will ask me about my support system/marriage what am i supposed to say he is on board 100% and our marriage is all sunshine and rainbows? We are having a very rough time and have been for years! I have a lot of support however from my friends, other family, co-workers that know, etc. Will this information be used against me in determining if i am a good candidate i have been through a lot and have been doing well despite my marriage i have lost 82 lbs, following a nut for well over a year, have been told by my nut & a therapist how driven i am in this whole process not to mention i am already at my goal weight because i fully understand what i am getting into and i am ready for this 100%! I just don't want my past/current marital issues to dictate if i am a good candidate but obviously i want to be truthful when asked these questions as well.

Anyone else go through something similar and get the go ahead for the surgery?

Thanks for listening just getting more and more nervous and my eval is Dec 28th.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Hislady
on 12/9/12 2:09 pm - Vancouver, WA

Well for mine we didn't discuss any of those things they just gave me a couple of booklets full of questions to fill out and then I saw the psych a week later and he said from my answers I looked to be a good candidate. Usually when dealing with a depression issue they are mostly looking to see if you are stablized for a long time and as far as support you can just say while your hubby isn't on board you do have a good system of friends and family to help out. You may find as you lose weight you'll find you aren't as willing to put up with negativity from husband and decide to make changes. As for your test be honest but don't offer more than what they ask for, you should do fine especially since you've already lost so much!

Dave Chambers
on 12/9/12 2:18 pm - Mira Loma, CA

You just need to be honest with your answers. There is a good chance the shrink may already have a list of meds you take.  These docs are pretty good at deceptive answers, so answer truthfully. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

LouLouAmbrosia
on 12/9/12 2:28 pm - OH

It sounds like you've done a lot of work already. Congratuations!  No one, IMO, enters into WLS without having issues or baggage.  Be honest with the psychologist about the questions, your experiences, your thoughts and your fears as well. Your history of depression and hospitalization is important for them to know.  I have a history of mild to moderate depression and the conversation with my psychologist centered around the mental health factors that would be important for me to recognize and address during the pre-op and post-op phase. I found the sessions to be very helpful. I hope you have a good experience as well.  Be yourself !  Maybe go into the session with a few questions that YOU might want to gain out of the experience.... just a thought.  Good luck :)

Height:  5' 2"      HW: 322 (7/31/12)     SW: 292 (10/31/12)     Current:  220 (3/20/13)
GOAL WEIGHT: 140

walterswife
on 12/9/12 9:12 pm

I had a few very thorough questionnaires to fill out prior to the time that the doctor called me back.  We had a general conversation about my desire to lose weight, previous experience with diets, and overall medical history.  I agree with the others that you should be yourself and be truthful.  Being deceptive has the potential of backfiring on you.  As far as your history is concerned, everyone has some issue of concern. Most who are/were morbidly obese have more going on than we would like to admit.   The psychologist knows that (they have issues too).  We are all human.

The main goal of the evaluation is to determine if you are "ready" for such a drastic change.  Many people have issues with depression getting worse following surgery.  The first few months are difficult for many.  The bottom line is that the insurance company (and often the surgeon) want to do the best to determine that you can be successful. 

I am sure things will go well for you.  Let us know how you make out.  Thanks for having the courage to ask the question.  You never know how many others you are helping when you raise issues such as this.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

noftessa0401
on 12/11/12 5:30 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

I had no paper to fill out before hand, and took zero tests.  I talked to the therapist for about 15-20 minutes.  I have had depression for 12 years, and have been medicated that entire time.  I told her about it.  I also had (have) a shaky marriage, and told her about it.  You know, about the marriage part, I told her that no marriage is perfect, and ours certainly had its ups and downs.  Usually, it is a 7 or 8 on a 1-10 scale.  But at the time of the consult, it was a 4-5.  She said that seems pretty normal and realistic to her.  And guess what - she told me she thought I was a good candidate for the surgery.  I had done my homework, was listening to my doctors, taking my meds, and seemed prepared for the changes I would have to make post-surgery.  I really think that is all they want to see.  Good luck!  You'll do fine!

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

jashley
on 12/13/12 5:14 am
DS on 12/19/12

I just had my psych eval.  I filled out a lengthy Tor F questionnaire about 2 weeks ago and faxed that in.  Then she called me today.

It can be 20 minutes to an hour.

She seemed to zero in on:

1.  Depression and meds I've taken for it.  Asking if I have ever had suicidal thoughts, have ever been hospitalized, etc.  She seemed to be looking to see that I could recognize I needed help and go to my PCP if needed.

2.  Eating disorder.  I laughed.  Doesn't everyone getting a WLS have an eating disorder of some kind?  She was looking for purging, bulimia, etc.

3. Asked me to explain my surgery to her.  Did I know what they were going to do to me?

4. Why was I getting the surgery.

Don't lie.  Relax.  I told her I take care of myself, my health, and know what vitamins I need to take and the commitment I need to make.  I'm not trying to turn into a runway model; I'll be happy with 80% loss of my excess weight.  I just want to be healthier and happier again.

Most Active