Starting my vitamin regimine

Srg2
on 12/17/12 7:19 am - CA

Eventhough my MD wont submit to my insurance till next week, I am trying to start my vitamins now so I get in the habit of taking them. 

I take a multi-vitamin

B12 sublingual tabs

Biotin

Is there anything else I need to be focused on (other than calcium)?  What calcium supplement do you take and where do you get it from?

Dave Chambers
on 12/17/12 9:17 am - Mira Loma, CA

I'd highly suggest you get some 50K IU dry D3. Vitamin D deficiencies are very common in the US population, and are almost 100% guaranteed post op. Standard D is a D2. Your body converts the D2 to the D3 form for usage.  Script D is D2, so it isn't worth taking. I get my 50K IU dry D3 from vitalady.com as well as my calcium citrate, both of which are in capsule form.  I'd start with 2 of the 50K iu per week.  Every patient is different. I've taken over 4 years of incremental adjustments to get to the 80-90 target range for D labs. I need 6 of this strength to get about a 90 on my labs.  3 per week gave me a 33, 4 per week gave me a 65 on my labs.  I tried 7 per week, but my labs got to 104, so I backed off to 6 per week.  Read your multi carefully.  Many do not have vitamin K, something I noted on more than one brand of vitamins I've used. I use an excellent vitamin from a very well known co., but it lacks vitamin K also.  My nurse recommended I take more K to help with clotting, as I was having severe bruising issues on my forearms.  I get my K from puritan.com , which is Puritan Pride vitamins. They have sales almost all year, many times buy 2 get 3 free.  I get my K, herbal laxative, fish oil, papaya enzyme (major help if you have digestion problems from eating--take ASAP if you feel bad after eating), etc.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active