Cardiac Cleanance -whats involved

Srg2
on 1/20/13 5:56 pm - CA

I have insurance approval for my band-rny revision.  However, I dont get a surgery date until I complete my cardiac clearance on Jan 29 (my surgeon is requiring me see cardio since I have sleep apnea).  What will be involved in the clearnance?  Just EKG or will I have to do stress test?  I dont mind the stress test, but I have HMO so cardio will have to submit for authorization for that and it will delay me getting a surgery date even more!

biscocho
on 1/20/13 9:09 pm - union city, NJ

I so hate when they make you get that because that's not necessary, that's just I protocol they like do!!!!! And my pcp told me just for everybody to make more money sad right!!!! I had a EKG plus and ultrasound to my heart that it, the just want the clearance letter in case something happen they can say they did their job 

MustangLady
on 1/20/13 11:20 pm - MA

Mine was also protocol , whi*****luded an EKG but if you are over 50 they require a stress test. 

~ CJ BradleyLapband Surgery 7/2007 with many complications. 2012 Seeking Revision to RNY. 2013 Revision denied. Trying to work with band.

mich4416
on 1/21/13 9:37 am
RNY on 09/26/12

I had to complete a chemical stress test for cardiac clearance.

littleskie
on 1/21/13 2:15 pm - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with

I have a horrible family history for cardiac problems. So I ended up having a wire threaded into a blood vessel up to my heart so they could measure the pressures etc. I was four hundred and fifty pounds when I had it done. The cardiologist said I had a great heart and everything was ideal. I got my clearance. If I didn't have that family history then he would probably only have done an EKG and an ultrasound of the heart. He didn't want to do a stress test on me. Probably due to my family history. If it stopped my heart they'd have had a lot of difficulty in trying move and/or revive me.

Call the cardiologists office and ask them what is normally done for a cardiac clearance for surgery. They will tell you what to expect. If you have to get a stress test they aren't so bad. I prefer the chemical one instead of running on the treadmill. Kills my knees and feet.

Good luck with everything!

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Most Active