First Meeting with Dietition and Psychologist

Rebirthofme
on 1/21/13 11:42 pm - San Jose, CA
VSG on 04/23/13

This week I will be meeting with the dietitian and the assigned psychologist for the first time. What should I expect to happen in these visits?

I will admit to being apprehensive about both: excited to get the ball rolling, but nervous at the outcome of these. Any advice from the forum?

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/13 12:20 am

Mostly education on life after surgery. They want to make sure you understand and can handle the emotional and dietary requirements. =) Both visits are easy. No worries. 

Cheryl M.
on 1/22/13 2:04 am

The psychiatrist I saw was new to working with my surgeon and his clinic and she took FOREVER.  What was supposed to be a 45 minute appointment took 2 hours - and only ended because I had to leave for my appointment with the dietician.  But then, she spent most of her time trying to analyze every little thing from my childhood - I'm not sure how it related to the surgery at all.

Every clinician is different, but hopefully you'll have someone who simply wants to evaluate your understanding of this major surgery and ability to stick with the eating requirements afterward.

MsBatt
on 1/22/13 2:37 am

I didn't have to meet with a dietician, just a psychologist. It was really pretty pleasant. He'd spent most of his professional life working with people with weight issues, and he really "got it". Mostly he focused on making sure I understand the surgery itself, how my life would change afterwards, and that I had reasonable expectations.

Rebirthofme
on 1/22/13 11:32 pm - San Jose, CA
VSG on 04/23/13

Did you have to go to multiple visits with each?

Cheryl M.
on 1/23/13 1:47 am

I only saw the psychiatrist once and do not have to see her again.

I will be having multiple meetings with the dietician.  We'll talk next week about what foods I should have in the house for after my surgery, and we'll talk regularly post-surgery about what I'm eating and when I can add in foods, etc.

Most Active