What is a "Stricture" tell me all about it

pattyjonichols
on 1/23/13 7:23 am, edited 1/23/13 7:24 am

For the last 4 weeks I have not been able to eat much.  Two bites down and burping starts...It always feels like 50#'s is sitting on my pouch.

Hospital Blood tests reveal I have Low Iron (without Anemia)  my Pre-Albumin / blood protein is very low.  They said I'm

not getting enough absorption of protein.   Nurse just called to say it might be a "Stricture"... what's that.?

She also wants me to come in and have an IV...ugh.  I'm taking over 12 pills and now they want me to take sulfate iron supplements.  Anyone else take those...I'm just about "pilled" out.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Pat    ---- Michigan

poet_kelly
on 1/23/13 7:33 am - OH

I assume you had RNY?  A stricture is when the opening between the pouch and small intestine gets too small and stuff cannot go through.

If the nurse thinks you might have a stricture, why aren't they scheduling and endoscopy to look for that and fix it, if they find one?  It will not get better by itself but will probably get worse in time if you don't get it treated.

Ferrous sulfate usually causes constipation and may upset your stomach as well.  I like carbonyl iron, because it's gentler on the tummy.  It's also absorbed better in a low acid environment, like the pouch after RNY.  You might prefer to take that than ferrous sulfate.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

pattyjonichols
on 1/25/13 10:54 am

Thank you so much for the quick reply.  Well indeed the Nurse called me today to suggest we schedule endoscopy workup.

Also she felt after a L-O-N-G discussion with me that I was eating too much food.  She called the surgeon and he wants to try a change in my eating plan first.  If that doesn't work I'll be going in for the endoscopy and IV for more fluids.  I'm not anemic but the low iron has them worried.    So glad to know about carbonyl iron.   I would like to be a gentle as I can on my pouch.

Surgeon pushed me back to all soft foods for 3 weeks. 

Thanks again I'm so glad you answered.

MsBatt
on 1/23/13 12:55 pm

How long has it been since your surgery? Strictures are excess scar tissue, and they're more likely during the first six months or so post-op. They're usually fairly easily fixed---an endoscope is run down your throat, and they stretch the stricture out.

pattyjonichols
on 1/25/13 10:59 am

Thank you for the response I sure appreciate it.  It has been 2 months and 5 days since surgery.  I can eat very soft foods but things like "meats" just cause me problems now.  Every bite down...causes burping and air to come up.  Food won't fit in until the air comes out.  Most discomforting.

Nurse called me today at home after she talked to my surgeon.   I have to go back to soft foods again and stay on that for 3 weeks.

If at any time during the 3 weeks this gets worse...they are scheduling me for an endoscopy, and IV fluids.

I'm so happy to know they are easy to fix.   I just saw the bill for the surgery ($30,375) and my insurance blessed me.  I just paid the deductible.  So I really hate to go back to the hospital...but if necessary I sure will.

Thanks again for answering my question so quickly and I sure appreciate your good words.

Most Active