Questions about my progress

angiethelen
on 2/13/13 7:53 am - OH
RNY on 11/27/12

So I had surgery on November 27.  I started out at 301 on my surgery date.  I am currently fluctuating around 250-255, but I have been here for about two weeks.  I am not eating any more or less, or differently.  I do tolerate a lot of foods that in theory I shouldn't be able to yet.  My dr. thinks I am doing well, but I haven't seen him in 6 weeks.  Shouldn't I still be loosing, not plateauing, and have I lost "enough" for the stage that I am at, or should I be concerned?

I am just curious.  I am just afraid of going back up.  Thanks!

Angie

hollykim
on 2/13/13 8:00 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

What are those foods that you can but shouldn't tolerate? getting over 80 gms protein a day? over 64 oz of sf liquid? keeping carbs very low? what does a day of eating look like for you?

angiethelen
on 2/13/13 8:26 am - OH
RNY on 11/27/12

a day of eating for me consists of at least 80 grams protein.  I eat reduced fat cheese sticks and low fat or fat free lunch meat most mornings for breakfast.  So that is about 120-200 calories.  For lunch I have salads, or fish.  so around 300-400 calories.  Dinner is often what everyone else is eating, but a much smaller portion.  so around 300-600 calories.  Some days if I do manage to get hungry between meals, I will snack on fruit, grapes, an apple a banana, a handful of blueberries or something.  My carbs are always around 100g a day.  I am trying to lower that.  My fats are usually around 25-30 grams total for the day.  Some days I will indulge and add a square or two of dark chocolate, but my usual day calorie wise is 900-1200 calories.  I try to get my liquids every day.  I don't drink anything with calories, unless I feel under the weather, and then part of my breakfast becomes 4 oz of natural orange juice.  Sometimes I feel like I am not getting enough calories, and my body thinks I am starving it, but I don't ever really feel hungry.  I want to get to my support group meetings, but I have been working for all of them so far.  I am just really curious about my stall...

hollykim
on 2/13/13 9:28 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

MHO,you are eating too many carbs in the way of fruit and juice. you might try focusing on all lean protein,less cheese sticks and less fat free cause when they take out the fat they put something in and it is usually sugar. healthy fat won't hurt you. You might consider eggs for breakfast with turkey sausage or something like that.  I think 900-1200 cals is more in line with maintenance and wonder if you wouldn't see better results if you keep them to 600-800 a day.

if you feel hungry,leave off the fruit and eat more dense protein,eggs or non carby vegetables. the fruit is not helping you. As long as you eat it your body will use it first as ready fuel and won't burn your stored fat and you won't lose well/at all.

GL

debiosbo
on 2/13/13 8:54 am - WA
VSG on 02/06/13

to many carbs but everyone has stalls

brenlee1965
on 2/17/13 4:26 am - New Berlin, NY
I am not able to eat much at all, so I am not going to be able to tell you about the calories part....Although, it does seem high for a post-WLS patient. Just make sure you get your protein & liquid in and then really think about the other things you eat. What food stage are you at at this time? Do you feel "hunger"? I don't, so that's helpful. I was worried about the "starvation mode" thing, but I guess since everything was re-routed inside and it messed with my hormones & all of that, I am not sure it comes into play so early out. I did the plateau thing about the same time you are and then it started back up in 2 weeks. I have lost over 100 pounds in 5 months, so far. Just listen to the people here, they have all been in the same boat. Remember though, that the same thing doesn't work for everyone (other than the fluids/protein & vitamin regiment).
 Bren                
Most Active