Follow-up Care in Edmonton after Surgery in Mexico - who did you go to?

MelanieL
on 2/27/13 5:14 am - Edmonton, Canada
Hello All,

I have been doing in-depth research on having gastric sleeve surgery in Mexico. My GP is not an option for follow up in my case. Can anyone recommend a physician for follow up care? What has your experience with this been like?
(deactivated member)
on 2/27/13 7:17 am - Canada

Why are you looking to go to Mexico instead of having it done in your province?

Missdede
on 2/27/13 8:05 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12

My family doctor handled my follow up care, not that there is really any follow up required except blood work .

I haven't heard of a doctor not willing to follow up.  Finding a new physician may be hard unless you go to a medi centre.

MelanieL
on 2/27/13 8:10 am - Edmonton, Canada
I have many reasons to do it out of province. First and foremost is the wait time. I feel that the longer I wait the closer I will be to having further issues with comorbidities. If I were to do this in Alberta as a covered surgery, I could expect to wait up to three years. I also would much prefer going to a fastidiously clean and well-maintained hospital as opposed to the overbooked, understaffed and quite frankly unsanitary hospitals in my province. I had a gallbladder surgery in Alberta and the conditions were deplorable. I have friends and family who have undergone similar surgery in Alberta and in Mexico. Those who did it in Mexico were more than thrilled with the experience, cleanliness and expertise of the particular doctor that I am looking to book with (I have of course done extensive research on his background, accreditation etc.). I hope that answers your question. I am not a person to take decisions lightly and believe in doing my homework.
MelanieL
on 2/27/13 8:12 am - Edmonton, Canada
Hi Missdede,

Thanks for your response. If you were to have come across any complications do you feel comfortable that your doctor would have been able to address them? That is my biggest concern. :0). Thanks again
Missdede
on 2/28/13 1:02 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12

The only complication my doctor (local) was concerned about was the possibility of dehydration.  He advised me that if I had  any complications with liquids he would set me up in outpatient at my local hospital (sturgeon) so that I could get IV liquids.  Turns out I was able to drink like a champ.  Who is doing your surgery?  I had Dr. Aceves..amazing experience!

i am 4 and a half months out and down 55 lbs from surgery, plan on losing another 40-50 lbs

deidra

MelanieL
on 2/28/13 11:12 am - Edmonton, Canada
Wow Deidra!! That is awesome! Just out of curiosity what are your thoughts on your new way of life? Are you happy with it / adjusting well?
MelanieL
on 2/28/13 11:16 am - Edmonton, Canada
Oh! I forgot to say that I am considering Dr. Ramos Kelly or Dr. Alvarez. I have heard really good things about both of them. What did you think of the experience with your dr? Lol I feel like I'm asking so many questions but it is so nice to gather insight from those who have been there and come through the whole process.
Missdede
on 2/28/13 12:09 pm - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12

I am thrilled with the results of my VSG.  Life is much less stressful now that I don't have to think about food ll the time.  I still enjoy eating, just much less.  I enjoy cooking more and trying new recipes and different foods.  Before surgery I had my favorite foods and meals, and because I do all the cooking in our family I always had to cook something that appealed to me otherwise I couldn't get into making it.  Now I try new things, different recipes, because it's not so important to me that each meal I eat is delectable.  

My life is otherwise much the same.  I was feeling fully recovered from surgery within a week.  I had little discomfort.  I stayed in the hospital in Mexicali the required 3 nights post surgery.  Surgery was on Wednesday, flew home Saturday.  I did not feel rushed or apprehensive heading home after 3 days.

I did a lot of research and dr. Aceves  was the stand out surgeon for me.

Valerie G.
on 2/27/13 9:27 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

The doc in Mexico should keep you local for two weeks, where if a complication were to occur - it should have happened by that time.  Don't rush your return so you'll be close by an expert if something happens.  By the end of 2 weeks, sutures should be well on their way to healed.  Once you get home, it's back to life as usual.  The VSG only removes the outer curvature, leaving all moving and working parts intact.  From that point, the only thing your doc needs to do is take care of you the way they always have.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active