Three questions!

Srg2
on 2/26/13 12:21 pm - CA

MY revision from Lapband to RNY is scheduled for March 15. I have a few questions:

1.  I know hair loss is a common issue - does that mean my hair wont grow either?  Does getting enough protein in help with this?

2. What are the chances surgeon goes in to remove band and there is too much scar tissue to do RNY?  He said that is a possibility and he may have to do VSG.  I really want the RNY but I am worried this will be an issue.  Since I have HMO, if this proves to be true, will he have to stitch me up and wait for insurance to approve VSG?

3. Is it true revision people lose much slower?  I haven't had any fluid in my band for months, but I still puke at times after eating...so I am not eating full portions but more than I would when band was working properly and I could keep a fill without being sick.

Thanks!

Ema

Mary Catherine
on 2/26/13 2:40 pm

1.  Many people have hair loss after surgery.  It is temporary and usually lasts a few months. Protein probably does not help, but you need it to stay healthy in the rest of your body.

2.  Make sure that you doctor has approval for the VSG if needed.  People have been sewed back up and sent home to wait on insurance approval. 

3.  Normally revision people lose slower, especially if they lost a lot with the band.  The body seems to learn how to hold on to weight better after a huge loss.  If you do get your RNY you will have malabsorpion and lose more quickly.  You will be eating much smaller portions than you do now.

rocky513
on 2/26/13 10:16 pm - WI

1.  The hair loss is a side effect from the anesthesia and the trauma to the body from surgery.  There is really nothing you can do about losing your hair. It usually start at about 3 or 4 months post-op.  I was really the only person that could even see a difference in my hair.  Getting a "new do" when it starts falling out will help you cope with it.  Getting enough protein in will be essential in getting your hair to grow back normally.

2. I had a revision from VBG to RNY.   I had substantial scar tissue and they had no problem doing the revision.  I think they tell you every possibility to "cover their own butts".

3.  My experience was that I lost slower than I did when I had my first surgery.  With my VBG, I used to vomit every time I ate .  I have not vomited once since I've had my RNY.   You do have to be diligent about measuring your food.  Since they cut through nerves in the stomach, you can not tell whether you are full or hungry.  That means it is easy to over eat and make yourself sick.  Measuring your food and staying strictly on plan is key to your success.    

Good luck!!!

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

(deactivated member)
on 2/28/13 7:22 pm
Hello i am new to the list and am a bit confused see i am getting my funding ready to go for slim band surgery now she saiid she is having a revision from her band to Rny now is this because the lapband is not good???? I also do not have a clue to any of ur abbreviations like vsg,hmo,RNY
(deactivated member)
on 2/28/13 7:24 pm
Sorry got cut off could someone please help me with this and tell me there thoughts on the slim band surgery thanks
Most Active