dietary supplements

johnette4
on 3/2/13 8:58 am - Augusta, GA

i started taking a b-12 and biotin supplement  but wonder how effective they are since gastric bypass doesnt allow for nutrients to be absorbed since large intestines are cut off from stomach....feedback....

Valerie G.
on 3/2/13 10:23 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Only an average of 100cm is bypassed with the resection of the small intestine (out of an avg of 26 feet).  You also need to be taking a lot more than B12 and Biotin.  You need a multi, calcium, dry A, E, and D, copper, zinc, and iron for starters.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Valerie G.
on 3/2/13 11:46 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

I found a great list of recommended vitamin regimen for RNY, compliments of Vitalady.com

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

poet_kelly
on 3/2/13 2:00 pm - OH

In gastric bypass patients, the large intestines are not cut off from the stomach.  The surgery doesn't affect the large intestine, or colon, at all.

Part of the small intestine is bypassed.  The small intestine is where most vitamins and minerals are absorbed.  That's why we need to take extra vitamins.

B12 supplements need to be sublingual, ones that dissolve under the tongue, or else the nasal spray or shots.  That's because we lack something called intrinsic factor in our pouches, as well as having little stomach acid in our pouches, which is needed in order to absorb B12 we take orally.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active