Pregnant & Umbilicle Hernia

tawana2q
on 3/7/13 8:19 am - NY

Im 2yrs out of sleeve surgery and I just found out that I am 3 months pregnant. I am having more pain in my stomach as if the stomach isnt completely healed and I just came home from the hospital. I was wondering if anyone else have the same issues and if it goes away later in the pregnancy?

Hislady
on 3/7/13 2:05 pm - Vancouver, WA

You may get more answers if you cross post this to the pregnancy forum and the sleeve forum. Congrats!

Melissa Nicely
on 3/7/13 3:11 pm - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

An Umbilical Hernia will not go away, it will most likely get worse as your pregnancy gets further along. You need to talk to your OB/GYN about having it repaired, the sooner the better. A hernia is a weakening of the muscles of your stomach, probably from your sleeve surgery if it was lap, the part that is bulging out could be fat or intestines. You have to keep a close eye on it, if for any reason you can't get the bulge to go back in place or it begins to hurt a lot then you need to get to the ER because it's likely to be a bowel obstruction.  They go in and put a patch under your muscles, it's done lap and your in and out of the hospital in 12 hours or less. I had an umbilical hernia from gallbladder surgery that I dealt with for over a year, it got so big that it was the size of a softball. I was finally able to get health insurance and have it repaired last year and I was glad I did, it just kept getting bigger and bigger the more I lifted and moved around.

tawana2q
on 3/7/13 8:02 pm - NY
Everything your telling me I was told by the surgeon. I spoke with the Ob and she was clueless and told me to see the surgeon went to the surgeon he said well if we do surgury it wont be microscopic it will be a scar the length of a spoon handle light anesthesia if it gets worse. Now what upsetted me waswas I had it b4 surgery and he didnt repair it and I complained of symptoms like swelling, tenderness and I have to pu**** in manually and it makes popping sounds n water running sounds that can be felt but heard by the person standing next to me. He said its small it should subside after you reached your weight loss Bull cause I met my loss 1 year out and having a issue and now Im preggo he wanna operate. Im so pissed...
Brenda S.
on 3/11/13 12:50 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

I'm sorry you are having trouble.  I had umbilical hernias with all of my pregnancies.  Got it fixed after #1, it came back with #2, and I had it repaired again after #3.  Hang in there.  It's definitely not comfortable.  I hope you start feeling better and congratulations on the pregnancy!!

tawana2q
on 3/11/13 3:17 am - NY

Did you get it repair while pregnant?

Brenda S.
on 3/12/13 4:21 am - FL
RNY on 04/09/13

No, since it was not life threatening, I had repaired after I had the baby.

tawana2q
on 3/12/13 8:45 am - NY
I know that's what the surgeon said. I was wondering though did you have alot of pain in that area or its bearable? What did you do to realive the pressure ?
Most Active