Hi.. I'm new..

JustMeNC
on 3/7/13 2:58 pm - NC

this site was highly recommended to help me review the Sleeve vs Full Gastric bypass (RNY I think its called) .. I'm really not following the flow of the forums though, so not really sure, 1, if I'm even posting this in a forum, or answering someone elses post by accident, and 2, knowing how I'll find this if anyone happens to answer.. :(   Can someone direct me to the forum that best would help me with  my situation?

As far as for me, I have been debating for a few years if I could 'handle' giong through with surgery for weight loss, and NOW I am finally ready.  My Dr's office assured me the procedure is covered, and I should have no problem getting approval.  I am hoping to have my surgery June 12, my birthday present to myself :)    

Thanks so much in advance!

Valerie G.
on 3/7/13 9:15 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Welcome to the site.  

As long as you have your email address loaded in your personal information, you'll get an email whenever someone replies directly to you in this thread, or others.  This thread you created is known as "The Main Board".  If you look up to the Forums menu, you'll find boards dedicated to different procedures, states, and even hobbies (not very active though).  I recommend looking at the forums for the RNY as well as the Sleeve (VSG).  Another procedure you may want to investigate is the duodenal switch, which is the most powerful and most complicated, but yields the best results.  You may have to get another surgeon for that one, though, for there aren't nearly as many doing it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

MsBatt
on 3/8/13 8:15 am

The are four basic procedures, although I honestly can't recommend the LapBand---you're pretty much guaranteed a second surgery when the thing wears out. (The manufacturer admits it's lifespan is about ten years.)

The other three are the VSG/Sleeve, which simply reduces the size of your stomach. If portion control is your only problem, it's a good choice.

Then there's the RNY/gastric bypass, which converts your stomach into a tiny little pouch and a huge 'blind' remnant stomach. (It's called 'blind', because it's almost impossible to view it with an endoscope.) Then, a small part of your small intestinee is bypassed. This causes life-long malabsorption of certain vitamin and minerals, and some malabsorption of calories for about 18-24 months.  This procedure is about as successful long-term as the VSG.

And finally, there's the DS/duodenal switch. The stomach portion of the DS is the same as the VSG, but there's also an intestinal bypass similar to, but more effective than, that of the RNY. While this procedure also causes life-long malabsorption of certain vitamins and minerals, it also causes permanent malabsorption of calories. This is probably why it has the very best long-term weight-loss stats, and it's definitely why it also has the best stats for resolving or preventing things like diabetes and high cholesterol. It also has the most liberal post-op eating plan (because of the malabsorption---DSers absorb roughly 50% of the protein we eat, 60% of the complex carbs, and 20% of the fat we eat.)

When deciding which procedure, if any, is right for you, you need to think about your overall health, and any diseases that may run in your family. Diabetes runs in both sides of my family, which was a big factor in me choosing the DS. I also have had severe arthritis for years, and I knew I'd always need to be able to take NSAIDs---another reason I chose the DS.

Think about your diet history. Do you lose weight easily, as long as you keep your calories low, or do you struggle with every pound? (If you struggle, it's possible you have some metabolic issues.) Does dieting make you crazy? (It always did me, and that's another reason I chose the DS. *grin*)

Choose what will make you happy. Not necessarily what your doctor recommends, or what your insurance company wants to pay for. This decision will affect the rest of your life.

Read the various surgical forms, including the Revision one. Talk to people who've been living with their surgery for a few years now. Ask questions. And NEVER GIVE UP!

Most Active