Hey Y'all!

SimplySimone
on 3/13/13 12:54 pm

I just officially joined this site. I looked into it about a year ago, but after being told that I would not get a referral I got discouraged and stop thinking about surgery. Now, I have a new doctor, in a new tow, and a new attitude! I just saw my regular doctor today, and they referred me to a a bariactric surgeon also! Soo excited! Please, if you have any helpful info, insight, or ideas dont hesitate to comment! 

Kat1313
on 3/13/13 9:17 pm, edited 3/13/13 9:17 pm - Jacksonville , FL
RNY on 04/08/13

Hi, Simone

Welcome!  I don't have much advice, as I'm pending surgery on April 8, but am very happy you decided to move forward.  Congratulations!  The only thing I would recommend is to be sure to check with your insurance company to get info on all of their requirements for approval of your surgery (unless you are self pay, of course).  My insurance required I do a 3 month physician supervised weight loss program, and it had to be documented in a specific format.  I would have hated to go thru that just to be denied because there was something wrong with the paperwork.  Also, be sure to find out which surgeries they cover - not all cover the sleeve or the DS at this time.

Good luck on your journey!

Kathy

Amy D.
on 3/13/13 11:27 pm - VA
RNY on 03/13/12

Welcome! I hope you find lots of help and insight on the board!

I recommend, like PP, that you make sure you are fully aware of what your insurance company requires. I would speak to a rep about it and, if you have web access to your insurance benefits, print off the requirements so you can really familiarize yourself with the hoops you are about to jump through.

Also, fully research all of the surgery options available to you. The top three are the DS, RNY, and Sleeve. Learn as much as you can about each before making a decision. You can find a lot of information on each of the surgery boards on this site.

So, do your homework and good luck to you!

HW: 272 lbs. (BMI 49.7)     SW: 237 lbs. (BMI 43.3)    GW: 140 lbs. (BMI 25.6)   
SimplySimone
on 3/13/13 11:47 pm
Thx you guys. Yes, I have familiarized myself with the insurance's policies. They have changed a few times over the yrs. I too am doing the 3 month supervised dieting. I looked up what the requirements were again this week, but TriCare is very meticulous. I will call a rep today!
Member Services
on 3/14/13 1:51 am - Irvine, CA

WELCOME        WELCOME        WELCOME   

SimplySimone
on 3/14/13 2:01 am
Thaaankssss!!! :)
brnlady1
on 3/14/13 8:24 am - NC

Welcome!!!!!!!

SimplySimone
on 3/14/13 9:57 am
Thank u!