NSAIDs

Michelle R.
on 3/15/13 12:48 am - Falls Church, VA

Ok I'm feeling super ignorant right now.  I'm more and more convinced that my former insurance SUCKED!!  I'm realizing that I had no clue that after RNY I couldn't take NSAIDs.  I didn't have a choice in surgeon or procedure.  I'm not too happy with the results. 

Just a suggestion:  Don't forget to be your own advocate, research, research, research, and don't just go with the flow.  I don't regret anything but I wish I would have done more.

sfnativewm
on 3/15/13 1:20 am

They have nsaids that can be given in a shot.   This way the stomach is not affected.   It works immediately!  

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/15/13 5:55 am

Yes. What she said. MichelleBenson

Delivery of teh NSAIDS does not make a difference. cream, injection, patch, ... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

dahoodman
on 3/15/13 4:41 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

Celebrex is an NSAID, but my surgeon says he's okay with that one since it is "second generation" whatever that means. A nurse in his office who had RNY has been taking it for years without complications. I have done some searching online and it seems that other people RNY are taking it and surgeons are okaying it. However, I am pre-op right now and my surgeon also suggested Tramadol which is working for me right now and it is NOT an NSAID. I tried several narcotic pain relievers and nothing was comparable to my wonderful ibuprofen (1200 - 1600mg per day) but Tramadol has been working about 90 - 95% of what the iburprofen was doing.

I chose RNY because of the type of eater that I am so I gave myself the issue of no NSAIDs by choice. It's unfortunate that you did not know and were not given a choice. I agree with you 100% that research is key. I have been doing some for 10 years and the last 2 years has been intense research.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/15/13 4:50 am

I have terrible cramps each month, and get some migraines occasionally. I also have some degree of degeneration in my back, knees and hips from when I was fat, and even though I'm now maintaining at a normal BMI, I realize that as I age, those are the places that pain and arthritis will set in. I just can't fathom a life without the ability to take something for pain, and narcotics on a regular basis are not acceptable to me.

If you are pre-op, it is not too late to change to a surgery that allows all NSAIDs. IMNSHO the sleeve and especially the DS are superior surgeries anyway, 

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/15/13 5:57 am

Don't count on that.Just because someone can take that and is OK, doe snot mean that you won't get an ulcer... 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/15/13 6:20 am

Unfortunately, our surgeons are not always the best with advice. We want a good cutter, but as far as followup stuff like nutrition, your better off going to a different professional.

I had the DS so I take NSAIDs without issue, but your comment mainly caught my eye because I have a relative with RNY that also thought it was OK to take Celebrex, and has several ulcers now that they are having trouble getting them to heal. I went though the history here, and on other sites looking for information about Celebrex with RNY, and there are plenty of posts where people with RNY have ulcers that they are sure are from Celebrex. 

Interestingly, my sil read HERE on OH that it was OK to take Celebrex. Her physician went along with it, when she said it was OK to take it.  Just putting this out there, because sometimes bad information gets legs and we start to think it's true just because we've read it numerous times. You need to be careful.

MsBatt
on 3/16/13 9:09 am

Celebrex is a Cox-II inhibitor. Most NSAIDs are Cox-I inhibitors. Celebrex is considered less hard on the stomach, but there's still some risk.

NSAIDs have some risks for anyone who takes them, but most of the time the benefits outweigh the risks. I've had severe arthritis since age 20, and am dependent on NSAIDs to function. There was no way I could have lived with an RNY.

I've taken Tramadol, and while it's an okay pain-killer, it does NOT reduce inflammation, the actual source of my pain.

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 3/15/13 6:30 am

Michelle I'm sorry. This is the kind of thing that always makes me tell others that our surgeons are not gods, and while we want a good cutter, they are not the "be all,end all" of information. They DO often give bad or insufficient information. 

Insurance companies are worse, since they want to pay for the cheapest they can get away with, regardless if it will fail or incur future medical costs, because statistically, you are off their policy and someone elses problem in a few years. It's a messed up system.

Thank you for putting out the message to be your own advocate and research. It doesn't seem possible for it to be said enough here.  I hope you find something that works for your pain. 

Michelle R.
on 3/15/13 8:31 am - Falls Church, VA

Thanks Amy.  I hope with this change of insurance I have made things will get better.  Don't get me wrong my surgeon was great I just wish I would have been able to be more involved in the decisions made.

I will not make that mistake again.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1204 views