crushed pills????

optimistic34
on 3/24/13 12:36 pm - AL

ok....so I am allergic to loratab. My surgery is April 1st and my doctor wrote me a script for percocet and said i would have to crush them since I couldnt take the liquid loratab. What is the best way to take the crushed pill???

HW 245/ SW 242/ GW 145/ SURGERY DATE 04/01/13   

airtouch29
on 3/24/13 2:02 pm - IN
The best way I found was with jello put it in between two small pieces so you dont taste the pill
Paula_22
on 3/24/13 4:17 pm

U can probably mix it with 2 spoons of water so that it turns out into liquid.

poet_kelly
on 3/24/13 5:08 pm - OH

You can mix it in any liquid or in something like pudding or applesauce.  It probably will not taste good.

I never crushed any meds.  I know a number of people that swallowed pills right after RNY, and the Amercian Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery says it's OK to swallow pills whole as long as we tolerate it OK.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Karens62
on 3/24/13 11:10 pm - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Crushed pills go down easier in something like pudding or applesauce but immediately postop that may not be an option for you depending on your surgeon's plan. You can also melt in a little bit of warm water. Start with the smallest amount if water possible because its going to be bitter and then chase it with something else which is strong in taste.

You might also want to go to your pharmacy at a quiet time ( not 5:30pm when everyone is picking up their prescriptions after work) and ask to speak with the pharmacist. Explain you problem and ask him/ her for suggestions. They deal with these challenges all the time and may be able to help.

And good luck!

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

dahoodman
on 3/25/13 5:05 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I used to use BC Powders all the time and got used to just putting it in my mouth and swallowing. Bitter as he77. I have been testing my prescriptions out with a pill crusher and so far everything is pretty much just like taking a BC Powder. It sucks but it doesn't last all that long.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week

BezoarGirl
on 3/25/13 5:56 am - WA

I had no problem taking any pills after surgery except really big ones and those I was able to break in half and take.

You can buy a tool that helps crush them for you and that makes it easier.  Ask at your local drug store.

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

optimistic34
on 3/25/13 11:36 am - AL

Thanks for all of the suggestions. 

HW 245/ SW 242/ GW 145/ SURGERY DATE 04/01/13   

Sue G.
on 3/25/13 12:27 pm - NH
RNY on 01/22/13

Some of my pills tasted absolutely horrible mixed with anything when crushed. I found the best way to get it down was to mix it with a small amount of my protein shake and drink it down like a little shot really fast (1 ounce). A few weeks later I started chewing them instead of crushing and at four weeks I could swallow them. It will go by fast.

HW: 242  SW: 212   GW:134

MeanStreak88
on 3/26/13 1:09 am - Opelika, AL

I had to do that for a while right after RNY, well I was told to. Just crush finely and mix into a bite of something soft and easy to swallow quickly. The after taste of crushed pills isnt all that pleasant, but do-able

Most Active