Recurrent stricture 6 1/2 years post-op!!

JulieIND
on 3/27/13 4:14 pm - Indianapolis, IN

I have had six dilations and the last one the doctor even injected steroids into the site of the dilation in hopes it would keep it open. Fast forward three weeks and I'm back to vomiting up anything I eat that's not liquid or very soft foods like mashed potatoes or yogurt. For instance, I had three bites of a soft pretzel the other day and I was in excruciating pain for hours and hours before I finally vomited it all up.

I am over six years out from surgery, and they can't figure out what's causing this all of a sudden. The doctor tonight said I will need a revision of the connection, but the doctor who did my original surgery is no longer practicing WLS, so nobody in my current city wants to touch me. So I guess I'll just sit here and not eat until someone figures something out or I can go out of town and pay $18,000 cash to get it fixed.

I guess I'd like to know if anyone has had a stricture surgically repaired who was years out from surgery and how it went.  I am scared to death they're going to operate on me again and something will go wrong or it will make it worse and I won't be able to eat at all.  I'm pretty nervous at this point and I usually don't get that way.  I'm really at a loss as to what can be happening this late in the game and so is my GI doctor.

jkjstars123
on 3/27/13 11:03 pm - Tama, IA

I have had 6 dilations also . It might just be the soft pretzel. I know I can't eat that. I'm 3 years out with a bypass. I can't eat any bread, rice or pasta without getting sick but it is not a stricture.

I feel for you and I hope everything works out

Julie

HW 304, SW 291, GW 160, CW 140 H-5'9.5"            

JulieIND
on 3/28/13 1:02 am - Indianapolis, IN
Thanks for the reply. I was able to eat anything the past six years. This is a drastic difference. I can't eat any meat whatsoever. I'm pretty much living on liquids, mashed potatoes, soup and yogurt. It's so depressing.
airforcemom324
on 3/28/13 2:25 am - MI

10yrs out lap rny too thin. i also had d

many dillitatuions about 5 yrs ago had ulcer on outage to pouch. now just cant eat anything i am 48 i am 5ft9 i was 298lbs june2013 now barely can keep 125. any help appreciated

JulieIND
on 3/28/13 2:29 am - Indianapolis, IN
Did your ulcer heal? I don't have an ulcer or any type of irritation. The GI doc said he's looked in every spot possible for an ulcer or gastritis and can't find a thing! He's kind of thrown his hands up and is passing me on to the surgeon to do a revision surgery. I've been keeping my weight stable because I can still eat soft foods and protein drinks.
airforcemom324
on 4/3/13 1:11 pm - MI
Sorry to you're off how much you have been though. Im happy you are getting revision . I also have had many dilitations. I was told we closed up. Bird three Doors Down Under ultrasonic with a very small wire that was not even pass thru. we also gone he said its from smokey I never quit. I love on you do sound like. I also had hernia and gallbladder when bad. do they help people that I mailnouridhed & underweight? I feel can't live like this any more. I have started the process with the surgeon to see what's going on so its all a waiting game now
airforcemom324
on 4/3/13 1:25 pm - MI
Sorry I do not text well so I speak and and sometimes it comes out weird on the other end. wish I could talk to you on the phone
I don't mind giving you my number I just don't know if this is your private email or is a POSt. I'm so depressed. at witt end. I feel like in a alien. theres gotta be something they can do I have all my part they are just put in middle littl pouch now connected to small intestine.i has no pain whatsoever just mental pain. I look like skeleton. Life must get better or end i cant do it anymore. I'm hungry now I wasn't for yrs I am and cannot eat anything
airforcemom324
on 3/28/13 2:28 am - MI

what and how do they do revisions. so many ppl that have have had same surgery as me by same doc have gained weight. how small did he make my pouch. never hungry too thin.life worse rather be overweight again

JulieIND
on 3/28/13 5:01 am - Indianapolis, IN
On March 28, 2013 at 9:28 AM Pacific Time, airforcemom324 wrote:

what and how do they do revisions. so many ppl that have have had same surgery as me by same doc have gained weight. how small did he make my pouch. never hungry too thin.life worse rather be overweight again

As far as I know, they're going to have to cut out the old connection that's strictured and make a new one.  I bet I'll have to go through the whole healing process again as far as liquids then soft foods, etc.  What a total bummer!  I don't have a surgeon here because mine was paid out of pocket up in Michigan and that guy left town and went back to doing general surgery.  So now my doctors here say it's going to be hard finding someone to treat me if they didn't do the original surgery. 

It sounds like you really, really need to get to your surgeon and have yours fixed if you're that thin and still losing.  Like I said, I'm lucky enough that I can still eat some stuff and have been drinking a lot of Ensure shakes and milkshakes.  Have you been drinking any Ensure shakes?  They even have high-calorie ones to put some weight on you.  Also, you might need to have some of your bypass reversed.  It might be too much.

MsBatt
on 3/29/13 4:35 am

Over on the Revision forum, Smileyjaime has a post that lists the vetted RNY-to-DS surgeons. They're all very experienced in doing revisions. Even if you don't want to revise your RNY to a DS, they're the best people for you to see.

Most Active