Jusr returned home from hospital after RnY and weight GAIN?

jessie06
on 3/29/13 5:44 am - Albuquerque, NM

Hello all,

I got through my surgery 2 days ago on Wednesday. Day 2 was really tough with pain but today feel much better and was discharged home.  HOwever, when I weighed myself at home, I was up 14 pounds???  I do feel that I'm retaining a lot of water, my feet and belly feel pretty swollen.  Has anyone else experienced this?  Oh, I also have my period as well.  But still, 14 pounds???

Karen8268
on 3/29/13 5:48 am - NH
RNY on 10/02/12
I gained 16. Dont worry. It will be gone soon. It took me a week to lose all 16 lbs. before "real" weight loss began.

Valerie G.
on 3/29/13 7:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

They've pumped you through with fluids!  It will drop off quickly.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

mzlaura
on 3/29/13 8:23 am - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13

i gained 12 pounds in fluids and it was gone within a couple of days of being home. Completely normal.

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

Sue G.
on 3/29/13 10:10 am - NH
RNY on 01/22/13

I gained 15lbs from pre-op day to discharge day. I was shocked! It all came off in about a week. It is 'normal' for many of us. Best of luck to you!

HW: 242  SW: 212   GW:134

tipoftheiceberg
on 3/29/13 7:02 pm

Having water retention after major surgery is quite common.  I know this may sound ridiculous but one of the most effective ways to get rid of the water is to drink lots of fluids.  Also increasing your physical activity (as tolerated) will help as well. 

If you develop any of the following call 911 and get medical attention immediately.:

• Extreme shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
  • A feeling of suffocating or drowning
  • Wheezing or gasping for breath
  • A cough that produces frothy sputum that may be tinged with blood
  • Excessive sweating
  • Chest pain

Furthermore, if something does not seem "right" call your doctor.  No question is a stupid question.

littleskie
on 3/30/13 6:14 am - freeport, TX
RNY on 08/19/09 with

I gained twenty pounds. I cried and cried. The nurses kept telling me it was water, all I could see is that I went thru all that pain and trouble just to gain twenty pounds. It was gone quickly tho. The nurses were right. It's from all the iv fluids they give you.

Met my first goal, met my second goal, met my surgeons goal. Now I have a new goal!

Most Active