I becoming obese again

nylexuse
on 4/14/13 7:16 am - Hopewell Junction, NY

8 years after surgery and I'm back to 185.  I still cannot eat a great deal.  I exercise 4 days a week.  I don't eat junk.  I'm really discouraged.

poet_kelly
on 4/14/13 7:27 am - OH
On April 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM Pacific Time, nylexuse wrote:

8 years after surgery and I'm back to 185.  I still cannot eat a great deal.  I exercise 4 days a week.  I don't eat junk.  I'm really discouraged.

How many calories do you eat on a typical day?  How much protein?

What kind of exercise do you do?

What does your doctor say about your weight gain?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kathleen W.
on 4/14/13 9:37 am - Lancaster, PA

I'm going to make a couple of suggestions for you.  Go back to basics.  Measure and write everything you eat, get away from simple sugar and carbs like white flour & pasta, cookies, any crap like that), if you're going for carbs, make sure it's complex carbs like legumes (any beans:kidney, garbanzo, etc), get your protein, vitamins, and fluids in.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

italianspice
on 4/14/13 9:21 pm - Eastlake, OH

Have you had a check up lately? Just thinking maybe thyroid issues if not much else has changed. Or is there any another defiencies that could be causing you problems.

Good luck.

shoutjoy
on 4/15/13 9:11 pm - Culpeper, VA

Hi,

I agree.  Stick to whole grains, write everything down and I would add get some support.  You don't mention anything about support groups, coaching, nutritionist etc.  There is a reason for your weight gain and it may be something you are not seeing or acknowledging.  It is hard to be accountable to yourself.  Having someone, a walking buddy or someone who can help you be accountable and also you having the opportunity to help someone else can be helpful. 

Clueless about weight loss and weight loss surgery of any kind.

Glynn7811
on 4/17/13 10:34 pm

I know how you're feeling. When I plateaued I got discourage, But also I was instructed that the surgery was ONLY a TOOL.

Glynn7811
on 4/17/13 10:35 pm

Also try loggin and tracking using fitness pal

Laura in Texas
on 4/18/13 12:29 am

Are you weighing/measuring everything? Tracking your food somewhere like myfitnesspal? We often fool ourselves into thinking we are eating less than we really are. Are you eating too many carbs? Some people will gain if the eat too many.

What exercise are you doing? Can you increase the intensity? For example, walking is good for your heart, but really does not do much for weight loss. Using the elliptical machine is a better use of your time.

And I agree with Kelly. What does your surgeon say? He can give you more insight than we can.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

nylexuse
on 3/18/16 6:07 pm - Hopewell Junction, NY

I go to Planet Fitness 4 days a week.  One day I do cardio and the next I do strength training.  I am 67 yrs. old with bad knees, but I do the best I can.  I remember hearing about a pouch test to get back on track.  I'd like getting some information on what that is.

Most Active