Hello! Help? Advice?

hannahp
on 4/16/13 11:47 pm - MS

HI!

I have spent the last week or so reading through this forum and let me just say: thanks to everyone posting! I have learned so much.

I am currently 25 years old, 5'3ish weighing 265 pounds. I've got a 46/47 BMI. I have always been overweight but in the last 2-3 years it has just become out of control. I was diagnosed about 3 years ago with a thyroid issue (hypothyroidism) and I blamed my weight gain on that. However, my thyroid issue has been under control for a year or so now I can no longer blame that. I am hoping this will not effect surgery. Are any of you all hypothyroid?

I have tried everything in last few years : the latest fad diet, the latest fad diet pills, this diet, that diet, medically supervised diets. I usually can loose about 20 pounds and then I just get stuck. Stuck, stuck, and stuck. I want to exercise. In fact, I really long to exercise It's something people my age do and a lot of my friends do it and I really want to join. I'm just so big at this point I can't and its really beginning to take a toll on me.

I was recently in the hospital for pneumonia. I was laying there when the nurse brought in insulin. They had to give me insulin every so hours because of my blood sugar. The nurse said it was normal due to the medication I was on and they didn't mean I was looking at long term effects but I have a family history of diabetes and let's just say that was the final straw that really opened my eyes.

I want to get healthy.

I have been doing some research to decide who I should go to but there are so many options. I have tried to read reviews on the internet, etc but I just don't know. I have been to a class and learned all about it but I was wondering - how did ya'll choose your doctor? Obviously, it is a huge surgery with risks and I just want to be with the right doctor. I'm even wondering if I should go to a major city like New Orleans or Memphis (about 3 hours away) to have it done. But then you run the risk of needing your doctor and them being so far away. Any suggestions on how to find a doctor I can trust? I'm in Jackson, MS btw. 

THANKS!

csmiles83
on 4/17/13 12:32 am - PA
VSG on 05/28/13

Welcome! This site is great, and I am sure someone maybe experiencing the same issue.  I am not, but I can understand how you feel about deciding on a surgeon.  I looked to this site, and my family and friends who have had procedures to make my selection.

I ultimately decided on a doctor that works within Einstein Healthcare Network in Philadelphia, PA.  It works in my favor because I am an employee at the hospital,and services are covered for employees.  I have had the same issues with diets.  I know that VSG is right for me, because I need the restriction.  My date is 5/28/13, so any questions I can answer in general just let me know. Best of Luck.

Csmiles

Sara L.
on 4/17/13 12:49 am

Whatever option you choose, be sure that your surgeon is qualified and board-certified. Your surgeon should be able to offer you support after surgery as well -- I would be wary of any surgeon who suggests you won't need any help once your bill is paid. Choosing your surgeon, in my opinion, isn't any different than choosing any other doctor. If a surgeon doesn't listen to you, they aren't the surgeon for you. If your surgeon doesn't answer your questions, they aren't the surgeon for you.

You also need to talk to your primary care physician. Ask them if they have other patients who have had a bariatric procedure and what their comfort level is in caring for patients who are surgical weight loss veterans. If you are unable to find a surgeon near you and have to go to a major city, your PCP can help fill that gap -- provided they are experienced enough and willing to do so.

Good luck on your journey!

Dx E
on 4/17/13 1:16 am, edited 4/17/13 1:17 am - Northern, MS

In Jackson?
Mississippi has some great Board Certified Centers of Bariatric Excellence.
(being the fatest state in the union 8 years running has created quite the market here)
Check out The UM Medical Center. 

They train Docs from all over the nation how to do Laproscopic RNY's, VSGs and Bands.
For the DS, Tennessee has some great centers. (Dr. Husted is in Nashville again I believe, just research on the web to find him.)
Oxford has 2 Centers for Bariatric Excellence and Dr. King is one of the leaders in laproscopic work.

A Center for Bariatric Excellence is sort of the "goodhouskeeping seal of approval," and we have several in MS.
Best Wishes- Dx

hannahp
on 4/17/13 1:45 am - MS

I have not been able to find anything through UMC but I may call and see if I can talk to someone - although that hardly ever happens, ha.

Everyone keeps sending me to a new program at a local hospital called "Transformations" - it looks good and the doctors seem to be well qualified. I was just kind of worried bc the program is so new but looking at the surgeons - they are not new and many of them have years and years of experience. I scheduled for the orientation program 5/9.

The problem is I just do not know anyone or even of anyone that has had the surgery. Therefore, I have no one to talk to about it which would really be nice - but, hey, maybe this is what the board is for.

chris_ruff
on 4/17/13 3:48 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

welcome and congratulations on taking steps to improve your health! first things first, have you researched all 4 typed of bariatric surgery before choosing which one best suits you? if not, i urge you to do so. just peek around at the forums on here and i'm sure people will share their experiences with you.

once you made a decision about surgery type, then begin research on the best surgeon. your insurance may place limitations on that choice so its important to get on the phone and find out from them if, what and who they cover. other posters can tell you about their experiences with surgeons, and their bariatric programs. those are important too. i would check to see if the surgeon is board certified, if s/he is a member of the ASMBS, and if s/he performs surgery at a Center of Excellence facility.

after all that, make an appointment to interview the top 3 surgeons on your list. it may seem like overkill but this person is about to rearrange your guts and give you nutritional advice that will affect your health permanently. then make an informed choice.

i didn't do all of the above, but if i had, i know my choices may have been different. i was in such a rush to get it done that i sped through the process as fast as i could. i don;t recommend that!  good luck with everything. 

--Christina
Gerica B.
on 4/23/13 8:33 am - Springfield, OH
RNY on 03/07/03 with

Hi there, you are just getting your feet wet, your orientation will help explain everything you need to know and which procedure might be right for you the doctors will be answering questions you may have as well, so I suggest you do some research before your orientation by googling and off the board here.  Try and see which procedure that might be what you prefer so you can write down notes and questions for that night. :)  My Orthopedic Doctor had set me up for my Orientation and already had my surgery set up without me knowing it.  He just had me go talk to my Bariatric Doctor that night and the rest was history.  I had my RNY back 10 years ago March 7,2003.  And now I am enjoying the freedom of weight loss.  Training my Service Dog Gino, a Merle Great Dane.  If I hadn't taken this big step in my life, I am afraid I would be wheelchair bound and not be active like I am.

Mary Catherine
on 4/17/13 4:08 am

Hannah,

Having weight loss surgery is just like being on a diet, except that this time it works.   I did no research, asked my primary care for a recommendation, went for the pre-surgery diet and prep classes and had my surgery.  I followed the plan, took the vitamins, exercised and lost weight.  It was quick and easy and continues to be easy almost six years later.  You can spend years researching, worrying and delaying and your weight and health will keep getting worse. 

In an ideal world everyone who is obese would just have the surgery, follow the plan and lose their excess weight and maintain that loss  I went into the surgery unprepared and learned a lot about it later from this and other sites.  It is a huge surgery with risks, but one that is done everyday and has been done everyday for years.  If you just pay attention and do what you are supposed to do there are risks, but not worth staying in poor health because you are worried about risks. 

There are qualified surgeons in most areas.  My surgery was three miles from my house and a ten minute car ride.  The staff was excellent.  I had surgery on Tuesday, was up walking around a few hours later, home on Thursday, doing light housework by Saturday and back to work on Monday and I was 59 years old.  I spent years on diets trying to lose the weight on my own and could never keep it off.  Surgery was what made my life different.  I am 65 and feel like a teenager.  You have many years ahead of you, why not live them to the fullest with the best possible health?

sohio44811
on 4/17/13 10:21 am - Bellevue, OH

White Dove,

I NEED YOU IN MY LIFE !!!  So very well winksaid!!!

tia47
on 4/18/13 3:39 pm - cleve, OH
I used Dr Charles Morton lll in Nashville, Tn when I lived in Ms. He truly is tops.

Tia
Most Active