5 years out with severe anemia

bridgetann1961
on 5/13/13 5:03 am - Parkersburg, WV

Anyone at 5 years out diagnosed with sever anemia?  If so what was the course of action your Dr took?

Jackie McGee
on 5/13/13 5:18 am - PA

Yes, and so far nothing. I was able to find a better form of iron to take and I'm waiting to see how far up I can get it on my own. My PCP refuses to set up iron transfusions/infusions. I'm in the process of hunting down a hematologist. I suggest you do the same.

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

bridgetann1961
on 5/13/13 5:24 am - Parkersburg, WV

It is my understanding that because of my surgery I cannot absorb iron through food or supplements.  I'm so confused right now!!!

Jackie McGee
on 5/13/13 5:25 am - PA

Find a hematologist. Really, in the long run, that is a person's best option. 

Proud mama of Mischa and Gabriel, both born post-op.

Laura in Texas
on 5/13/13 7:00 am

Some of us do absorb iron through supplements. I am one whose levels are still good almost 5 years out from my RNY. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Raine
on 5/13/13 7:48 am - Anoka, MN

I don't know what surgery you had but if you had RNY you can absorn iron from pills, foods, even the cookwear you use. My surgeon has us take Vitron C - the iron and vitamin C are already bound together in one dose so you don't have to take them separately. What are you doing so far to up your numbers? If it's supplements only and the number isn't going up try iron supplements and food. (The vitron C won't cause constipation like other iron pills). Are you eating foods high in iron? Try both the pills and foods. Have your numbers checked after a few weeks or a month of doing this. You can use cast iron cookwear -as the food will absorb the iron from the pan. Remember you can't take iron pills when you drink coffee - they need to be hours apart so you can get the maximum absorbtion. check with your doc or hematologist. Contact the hospital that does the infusions in your area for more information. Try one thing, add another and add yet another until your numbers are where your doctor wants them. If that doesn't work, infursions can be administered and it won't be too long until your Iron is back where it should be.

Jen 11 yrs post op RNY

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/13/13 9:35 am

Some RNY people can - some can't absorb the iron. It is very individual. You may be one luck that absorb the iron. I can't. Not much anyway, and any extra creates so much pain that the little that can be absorb is not worth the rest., 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cajungirl
on 5/13/13 6:29 am, edited 5/13/13 6:30 am

Find a hematologist, demand iron infusions.  I've had two rounds of them approximately 18 months apart.   If your anemia is severe it's almost impossible to get your levels back up without infusions.  And, you'll feel so MUCH better after.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/13/13 8:58 am

Get infusions . Find good hematologist that deals with WLS people. He/she will listen to you. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

agraydolfin1
on 5/13/13 11:19 am - TX

I had my RNY in 2000, did not get the message of having to take vitimins forever. I became sever, I hade a bag of iron threw IV for five days, and now go once a month for b-12 and bag of iron.

Most Active