Fat, tired, unmotivated and stuck. Will surgery really change my life??

vixkix69
on 6/10/13 11:57 am

The last few years, I have changed into another person. Before, I was just fat. Now,I am fat, tired, unmotivated and stuck in my life. Will the sleeve surgery,or any surgery, really change my life? Will it give me the tool and the strength to change my life?

poet_kelly
on 6/10/13 12:29 pm - OH

I don't think WLS (or any other surgery) can give you motivation or strength.  WLS will give you a tool to help you lose weight, but if you are unmotivated, you probably will not get the kind of results you would like.

I suggest dealing with whatever it is that is making you unmotivated.  Have you seen a therapist?  Dealing with that issue while going through the process of WLS would give you the bet chance of success.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Melissa Nicely
on 6/10/13 12:39 pm - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

The surgery its self with not magically change how you think. It's not like that but what will help you and teach you is the whole process you go threw before you can even have surgery. I was like you, unmotivated, tired all the time, not wanting to do anything. I let my weight get so out of control I got up to 437. I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired all the time and fed up with constantly telling my kids no they couldn't do something because mom was too tired or too big to do something. My insurance required me to do 9 months of diet and exercise plus a whole lot more. The whole process took me a year during which time I lost over 60 pounds. I felt so much better but not great. I was still in the 370's. Since I have had surgery just last month I have dropped 40 more pounds, I have more energy to do stuff because I am not lugging around 100 pounds. That's basically like packing my 10 year old around all the time.

You just have to treat it as the tool that it is. Yes it will work for you if you actually work towards your goal and do what your suppose to. You have to stick to the rules and do what your suppose to, if not your tool will not work and you will gain everything you lost right back. You have to be dedicated enough to change your whole lifestyle, how you look at food and how you exercise. It's not easy but you can do it.

horrible_monster
on 6/10/13 1:25 pm
VSG on 02/27/13

It'll change your body. For me, the increased energy I've experienced so far has provided the opportunity to exercise more (although not as much as I should), and the fact that it's physically easier to move through space makes Doing Things less onerous. The sleeve gastrectomy did change my life, in that sense.

Bariatric surgery didn't cure my depression, make my sleep apnea go away 100% (yet...I live in hope), banish the grody lipomas that make me embarrassed to show my arms, or find me a job. But, strictly physically, I do feel better four months out and plan to keep up the exercise and healthier diet because I want to continue to engage with my life on my own terms.

And fwiw, I knew I felt crappy before but there were things I hadn't even realized were dragging me down till I'd had the surgery and lost some weight and gotten more active. Little things, like not needing to pee as often (even though I'm drinking more water.) Little aches and pains that had become so normal I wasn't even really aware of them till they were gone.

If, at my fattest, I had been one of those dynamic fat people who can go dancing and hiking and keep their homes clean and just enjoy the endurance to keep up with their friends and family? I would've been that active, high-achieving fatty, or at least I would've tried. But I wasn't. My body wasn't good at being fat. So I'm glad I did what I did, although bariatric surgery certainly isn't for everyone; it's no panacea, but it's been great for me so far.

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

JJ_
on 6/10/13 7:29 pm

Yes, it can change your life.  Once you have lost weight, your energy levels will improve.  You will be delighted to clean out your closet of clothes that no longer fit, try on stuff trying to see if you could wear it now....etc.  I used to buy clothes in the store and bring them home to try on at my leisure.  I did not have the strength to do it in the store. 

I have lost over 150 lbs and life is a lot easier.  I had RNY and yes I still need to watch what I eat and measure my portions.   That is for life, not just until you lose X number of pounds.  However, it is easier because once you eat that certain amount, you feel full.  That is the part that makes this easier.....at least for me.

Good luck in your decision.

Judy

AnniesSS
on 6/10/13 9:49 pm
RNY on 09/11/12

It will change your life it you want it to change.  You have to work for it also.

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

addict05
on 6/11/13 12:36 am - IL

Yes it can.  Body, mind, and spirit work together.  If your body isn't where it should be, your mind and spirit will also be out of whack.  The surgery did correct this for me.  Not sure why it didn't help other people, but it most certainly can happen to you as well.  Therapy while it can be good, is not the answer for everything.  Sometimes you just need to lose some weight lol.

missthingg
on 6/11/13 1:08 am - memphis, TN

I wasn't unmotivated but I was fat and tired. Like the others said it's just a tool. Everything else comes from within. The sleeve is a tool, but you still have to work. You may have to work harder because you HAVE to eat properly or you will hurt yourself physically. You have to be motivated because it's not easy. I think you can be tired and you can be fat but you have to be motivated. The possibilities can give you strength. Look at people's before and after pictures. That gave me motivation and strength. The possibilities of wearing normal clothes, the possibilities of fitting in a regular booth, the possibilities of not breaking the lawn chair, the possibilities just made me so motivated. Every step on the elliptical machine I say to myself I am going to get this fat off. The surgery will help you help yourself. So know there is help if you want to help yourself...You can do it!

SandieMc49
on 6/11/13 1:23 am

IMHO, nope it won't.  The surgery itself won't give you motivation.  That's work you have to start doing BEFORE you have the surgery. 

Okay - so let's say you do some "head work" - and decide you are truly ready for WLS.  It will change your life beyond anything you can even imagine!  However, it will probably be the hardest and most difficult thing you'll ever do in your life!

WLS is NOT for wimps, that's for sure.  I'm almost 5 years out and there's not a day that goes by that I don't think about, and appreciate, this wonderful gift I was given.

Conversely, I swear I'm going to write a book called "Life Was So Much Easier When I Was Fat"!   Because, ya know what - it was!  I always knew what size I wore.   I never had to think about what I was going to eat - I picked out somethin' and ate it (no big deal, right?); and on and on. 

Please, please please, do NOT have the surgery if your head doesn't match your heart.  Set yourself up for success.  We're here to support ya!

Sandie

Skimmer
on 6/11/13 4:57 am - IL

I had surgery on January 2, 2013.. I thought this is what I want... I am almost 6 months post op have only lost 64 pounds.  I do feel better and have more energy, but I regret having it everyday.  64 pounds is not worth all the pain I went through.  I hated myself after surgery and wish I had died  and sometimes I still do.  There are so many things that I use to do that I cant do now...I have only lost 10 pounds in the last two months.  I am totally disgusted...There are very few things that I can actually eat.  I live off Turkey Chili.  Protein is disgusting to me and gags me... I force myself to drink at least 4 ounces every morning because my hair is falling out.  I take 6 different vitamins and a thyroid pill everyday that makes my stomach hurt  and some days I go all day without drinking anything.  I go to gym and I never sweat.  I am so cold 24/7.  I cant enjoy my swimming pool or boating because I freeze. ..   If you have any doubts whatsoever..do not go through with it.  I was so close to not going on surgery day but than I told myself to suck it up this is what I wanted and I would be healthier and live a longer life...wish I would have listened to my first instinct. 

Most Active