Osteopenia & Osteoporosis

Strjen
on 6/17/13 12:29 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

Just curious if anyone has been diagnosed with Osteopenia or Osteoporosis since their WLS. I go to see the orthopedist tomorrow for my fractured leg & they believe I have Osteopenia. I'm scared. I don't want to be breaking all the time. I have enough bad luck as it is. Lol I'm sure they will have me do a bone density test & some blood work. I'm really scared that my body is not absorbing my Calcium Citrate (pill form) supplements & is taking it from my bones. I'm 35, I'm too young to have this happen. Anyway, if you did get diagnosed with either. What did you have to do as far as treatment for this?

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

ChipPaulson
on 6/17/13 10:25 pm

Try getting some sun. Vitiman D will help your bones retain calcium.

``If you`re going through hell, keep going``

Winston Churchill

Weight loss plan reviews: http://choppysreviews.com/

MsBatt
on 6/18/13 12:29 am

First thing *I* would do would be to get a full blood workup. Poet Kelly can give you a comprehensive list of all the things RNYers need to be tested for, or you can get a list from Vitalady. Either of them can also give you really good advice about what vitamins in what dosages you should be taking.

Just taking calcium doesn't do it for post-ops. There's a very delicate balance between calcium, Vitamin D, magnesium, PTH, and other trace minerals. Exactly what YOU need to take is going to depend on your lab results, so that's really where to start.

Tracy Ta Da
on 7/16/13 12:57 am - Hurst, TX
Hi! How can we get our PCP to know/understand exactly what labs we need to have and how to read them, there are still so many out there that are not educated on after-bypass health. Do you have any suggestions on who to see to customize my nutritional suppliments based on my labs 10+ years post bypass with a revision around the corner?

Thanks!
Tracy Ta Da!

Thanks!

Tracy
Start 336
Surgery Dec 2003

Gained back up to 277.  Revision planned to resolve jejunum diverticulitis. Post revision completed 12/2013

MsBatt
on 7/16/13 1:26 am

Well hello, Tracy Ta Da! Long time no see.

I've got a pretty good PCP---she came to doctoring a little later in life, and she doesn't suffer from the God complex so many doctors do. I was her very first DS patient, and she was smart enough to know she didn't know anything about it. She actually asked ME questions, and listened to the answers!

I carried in Vitalady's lab list, and she orders them for me yearly. However, I feel it's really up to ME to educate myself about how to interpret the results and seek out the best ways to improve them. I've gotten help with this from Vitalady, Poet Kelly, and Andrea U. (who doesn't seem to be around any more, alas.)

My iron has tanked despite all I've known to do, and I'm seeing a hematologist on Tuesday about iron infusions. After I see him, maybe I'll have more recommendations for you.

What kind of a revision are you having?

cdisanti
on 6/19/13 5:47 am - CA
I was just diagnoised with osteoporosis on Monday I'm taking fosamax once a week. .my upper back is the worse. Good luck my pcp said because of my surgery not getting enough calcium or vitamin d ..I have been doing the vitamins and I have a pool so I definitely get yoenough sun.

Most Active