2 week pre op liquid diet started today.

ThisGuy
on 7/3/13 12:08 pm - FL

Hello everyone! I'm a longtime OH forums lurker coming out of the weeds. My name is Nick, I'm 26 years old and my surgery is scheduled for July 17th. I started my pre-op diet today and so far, so good. I know it will get worst over the next couple of days, but I feel like I am mentally prepared for it. I'm also quitting smoking, as well.

I'm going to kill 2 birds with one stone. (Sorry PETA) mail

I took all my measurable's and pictures this morning to start the journey. At the grocery store, I purchased Apple juice, Orange Juice, 1% milk, sugar free jello, sugar free popsicles, vanilla yogurt, and chicken broth. At GNC, I got my Isopure, whey protein, and chewable vitamins. I also went out and got a couple of composition notebooks for tracking what I put in my mouth.

I got a couple of questions.         

What are you doing for your iron supplement post op?

I know I'll be able to take the normal Iron supplement on the pre op side but I'm not sure about the post op side. I bought GNC Mega man chewable vitamins because they have everything required by my nutritionist BUT, Iron.     

What do you people think about the NIKE Fuel band? Is it worth it? 

Is there anything you would add to my grocery list?

Thanks!!!   

aliceindietland
on 7/3/13 11:40 pm
RNY on 06/11/13

All of my original vitamins are Bariatric Advantage because the first month came in a kit from my surgeon.  I have a chewable iron, and it's very small and doesn't taste bad at all!

Is the list you gave above of groceries the guidelines for your liquid diet?  I know that everyone's NUT/surgeon is different in what that means.  If you can have yogurt, can you have pudding?  Also randomly, my favorite yogurt is the light yogurt from Publix - it's cheap, and they have some really good flavors (carrot cake is awesome).  Also you might want to ASK if you can have strained low-fat soup.  I was so burned out on SWEET after just a few days that soup was a godsend.  Though if you can't, you can also try mixing up the broth by adding spices (as long as it doesn't add a lot of sodium).  Curry powder and garlic pepper were what I used.

Post-op you'll probably be on more liquids for at least a week, so probably not much point in doing grocery shopping for anything else yet. :)  Oh, however!  One thing you might want to think about is that some people have trouble with milk after surgery (I did!) so you might want to make sure you have some soy or almond milk in the house for when you come back.

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

muknanav
on 7/4/13 5:42 am - Erin, Canada

Hi Nick! I've been lurking too and have come out of the weeds as my surgery date is the same as yours and it's starting to be very real. It's so funny how different each program is and what everyone needs to prepare. Up in Ontario, we are told not to get any vitamins until at least 1 month post op. You're very prepared! I've just started my 2 weeks of Optifast and so far, so good. I'm so thankful for the recipes that others have posted to make them more palatable!

Best of luck on your journey!

5'8" ~ HW: 350 ~ Starting Weight at Guelph: 338 ~ Starting Weight on Opti: 313 ~ Surgery Weight: 298 

RNY July 17, 2013 ~ Dr Foute-Nelong ~ CW: 159

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/5/13 6:53 am

I'd go by whatever the nutritionist said.....mine said bariatric advantage....she recommends their chewable that you take 3 times a day, and it has everything needed post-op

Good luck!

Traci Z.
on 7/9/13 12:59 pm - CA

Hi Nick.  I am Pre Op and my surgery is on July 15th.  We'll have close surgiversaries!! LOL! You sound like you have everything youll need post op.  I am also tired of the sweet.  I make homemade chicken broth and add a little hot sauce (tapetio).  Its delish!  Good luck on your journey.

Never say, never - It always seems to bite you in the butt later......

Most Active