Clothing...Am I the only one?

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/2/13 9:59 pm

I've been MIA for awhile...finishing up appointments, traveling, having company, and  I'm still preop.....and was wondering......how many of you bought clothing in smaller sizes before surgery?  And how far down in sizes did you go?

I've been picking up inexpensive office slacks and jeans for sizes below what I am wearing.....am I the only one that has done this before surgery?

Our local goodwill has great bargains....some clothing is brand new with brand names and still has tags on them....and with the 50% off weekly deals, I can get brand new jeans for $3 or so.....can't beat it!

So, I've picked up a few slacks for the office and jeans in sizes 18-14 (hope to be an 8 or 10 at goal weight).....I haven't gone crazy over this, only one or two in each size.  Please tell me I'm not the only one.....

Thanks!  --Sis

Valerie G.
on 7/2/13 10:27 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

You're definitely not the only one, but I'll give you a warning.  As our bodies change, they don't always do so symmetrically or in any balanced fashion, so it's always best to try things on before you buy them so you aren't wasting you money on something that never looks right even though its your size.  

Good thinking on combing the thrift stores.  I always buy my designer jeans there, too.  Also look to the upscale consignment shops in the ritzy parts of town.  It's amazing what people discard!  They are also a good place to recycle your clothes as you shrink out of them to help fund your next purchases.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/3/13 7:08 am

I had some clothes from before I got MO. But my body changed. What once fit me - was not a good cut for me later on. A sizes are so different depends on a brand. 

I used some of the clothes I had - but I also gave some of them away and bought new ones as I was losing weight. I realized that only a few brands of jeans really fit me now - at size 6-8.. some are too big in the butt but barely can button them up in my waist, others -  were way too long, or some were old - and  since sizing has changed - old size 8 is not today's size 8... have that i mind. 

Belts and scarfes - you can buy as many as you want. Shoes - not so much.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Ladytazz
on 7/3/13 3:59 pm

I always, to this day, buy almost all my clothes at thrift stores.  While I was losing as soon as my clothes starting getting loose on me I would go to the thrift store and get the next size down and I would also get some things in the size lower then that.  It gave me something to work towards and it was a great gage besides the scale to see how I was progressing..  And sometimes I changed sizes so quickly that I just zoomed past a size without ever wearing it.  If I saw something I really loved that was too small I would usually buy it even if it was several sizes smaller then I was at the time.  I felt confident that I would wear it at some point and I usually did.  And the things that I didn't wear or didn't look right or fit right even after I was in that size I just sent back to the thrift store or gave it away on Craigslist.  I never spent much on clothes so I didn't feel like I was wasting money.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/3/13 9:19 pm

Thank you all!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 7/3/13 11:26 pm - Burleson, TX

I agree with the other posters--esp VALERIE..the main thing:

DON'T spend a lot and DON'T buy a lot at one time....You'll forget what you have, and by the time you see it, in your closet, it will be TOO BIG, and you will never have gotten to wear it...drat...and like VALERIE said..you may lose from the head down (like I did...small head/big butt...just "lovely"), so be careful with anykind of "ensemble" oufit...

Shopping from your OWN closet is DA BOMB !! Do you attend a support group? Can't find one? Start one! Group clothing exchanges are an EXCELLENT way to keep your hiney covered for zero cha-ching!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/4/13 11:58 am

Gina, many thanks....after reading these posts, I stopped at what I have.....a couple of jeans, a couple of dress pants in a few smaller sizes.....and haven't spent more than $2 on any item.

Thanks everyone, appreciate your input!  --Sis

MyLady Heidi
on 7/5/13 3:41 am

I wouldn't waste my time, not only did my size change but so did my style, or lack of style.  What you think you might wear might be something once you get there you wouldn't be caught dead in.  I have clothes I bought after I reached my goal back in 2007 and I look at them now and wonder what the hell I was thinking.  I can wear them.  But I don't.  Styles change. 

Goodwill is going no where.  Wait until you get down some sizes and see what you really like.  I had enough smaller sizes I had been keeping for years to keep me going for quite a while.  Wasting money on too much during the losing phase is just that, a waste of money.  Save it all up for a nice wardrobe of goal size and plastics, which make the clothes actually fit better.  I didn't do all this to be stuck in a girdle for the rest of my life, believe me my tummy tuck was the best thing I ever did.  In all the years I was MO, I never spent a moments time out of a girdle or bra, now I can go commando in long flowing summer dresses and feel great.

Lisas-Ltl-Sis
on 7/5/13 4:29 am, edited 7/5/13 5:25 am

You've got me cracking up about going comando.....I've sworn off shopping and will wait to reach that size...

I only got a few basic  jeans/pants (no short zippers or low riding jeans).....I hate to even think what's in my attic.....and the outdated styles, I'm sure....when we have a cooler day, I'll get up there and have a look.....

Thanks!

EDITED:  Heidi, I think you & my sister had the same doctor, CT, right?

MyLady Heidi
on 7/7/13 12:54 pm

Yes Dr Aranow was my surgeon at Middlesex hospital.  Plastics at Yale.

Most Active