Getting Closer

NurseBrandy
on 7/20/13 6:04 am

New to this forum. I'm looking for any helpful advise on Gastric Bypass surgery. Im getting close to the 6 months of diet counseling and documentation. Hoping for a date of surgery around Sep 16th. Hoping :) Please share any advise you may have :)

Member Services
on 7/20/13 3:20 pm - Irvine, CA

We are glad you are here!  

JJ_
on 7/20/13 10:08 pm

Congrats on getting closer to surgery.

I had the RNY in December 2011.  Advice....do not stock up too much on food pre-surgery.  You eat so little.  I gave away the extra applesauce that I had purchased.  Reminder:  applesauce can cause constipation, plus if you are on narcotic pain meds too.  I would cook a head of cauliflower and portion it into serving sizes and freeze them.  I did the same with squash or carrots.  Same with ground beef, or other foods.

Watch for constipation.  Some folks end up in the emergency room getting the brick .....removed.

Bring lip balm in a sandwich baggie to the hospital, plus ear plugs.  Both essential items for post-surgery.  You will need to be up and walking as much as possible to keep the risk of blood clots down and if you have laproscopic surgery, to start tooting and removing the gas to remove the pressure.

Your insides will be swollen for a good 2 to 3 months as your body heals.  As the swelling goes down you will find that you can eat more.  Still continue to measure your food.  Record your fluid intake and vitamins.

It may take a while as you move through the various food stages post-op to become more familiar with the various amount of protein in foods and get into a routine.  It can be a full-time job until you have a habit.  Use either a manual or online tracker of stuff.  Some folks like www.myfitnesspal.com or such.

Good luck in your journey.

Judy

Most Active