What should I really expect after rny

Michelle G.
on 8/9/13 5:54 am - OH
RNY on 10/17/12

I had my surgery on a Wednesday and went home on Thursday. I never used any of the pain meds that were offered but I did use the Gas X strips. The only pain that I had was some gas pains. I walked constantly from about an hour after I woke up until a week after surgery. The walking really does help. The only thing I took to the hospital was my robe, slippers, toiletries and clothes for home. Oh and my Kindle! Didn’t really need anything else. I slept in the recliner at home for the first three nights because that was more comfortable for me and was back to my normal routine within a few days. I didn’t work at the time so I didn’t need to be released for that but I did go back to cooking and light cleaning and such almost right away. I was told no vacuuming for 2 weeks but somehow my kids heard 6 weeks. Lol If you listen to your doctor and follow the instructions for after care it really can be a very quick and easy recovery.

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

Michelle G.
on 8/9/13 5:58 am - OH
RNY on 10/17/12

Oh and my suggestion about protein drinks is to try a few different brands by getting their sample packets. Your taste buds could change dramatically after surgery so no use wasting a bunch of money on a big container.

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

Mimisocks
on 8/13/13 4:53 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

Congrats on your up-coming surgery! angry I am 5 weeks post op and while I had a little more pain than I thought the 1st day of surgery plus a reaction to the general anesthesia; I have been off narcotics since I left the hospital on day 3.  Pain has been manageable without other help. I had some issues with my potassium in the hospital and at home (probably from years of diuretics) but have been doing okay since with potassium supplements.  I eat healthy soft/regular foods, my plan calls for 1/4 cup at a time.  Your tastes will change after surgery, so don't buy too much of anything until you get to that stage of your eating plan because what tastes good pre-op may taste crappy later.  I like Premier Protein chocolate drinks, and use them to get in my required protein several times a week, I have also tried the whey protein powders (vanilla the best) from GNC .  I will admit to being very slow with introducing new foods into my diet; I fear excessive dumping more than the surgery itself!  By doing this, I have had only 1 incident where food did not agree with me so far.  I realize I have a long way to go with this life-changing surgery, but I have started out as I mean to go - healthy and as close to natural as I can get it.  All the best to you for a successful surgery and recovery!

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

Most Active