cant eat suger free jello

jaifra78
on 8/10/13 5:09 am
RNY on 04/16/14

I am still pre op but I am wondering what I am going to be able to eat on the liquid diet because I cant have aspartame, it gives me excruciating migraines. so that means i cant have crystal lite and I'm sure there are a bunch of other things i cant have that I'm not even aware has this ingredient

feelinggod00
on 8/10/13 7:11 am

you may just need to stick with broths. you might also try jus****er with any type of fruit in it for flavor and add some stevia for a sweetner. you can also freeze some to get that popsicle feeling. good luck!

Erin Kenny
on 8/10/13 7:34 am - Canada
RNY on 07/24/13

A lot of the new crystal lite flavours (including all of the ones in the squirt bottles) as well as Mio are made with Splenda instead of aspartame - yay! I know because I can't have aspartame either.

If you look carefully you'll be able to find sugar free popsicles made with splenda, and if you need flavouring for other things look for Torani SF syrups, again not made with aspartame.

There are more and more sugar free things out there that are not made with aspartame, for which I am truly grateful.

raincloud
on 8/10/13 8:21 am

You can make kool aid with splenda. just buy the regular packets and instead of sugar put in the same amount of splenda. you could make popsicles out of the kool aid too.

goddessgrrl
on 8/10/13 3:35 pm - VA

Post-op I had an aversion to anything with aspartame in it. I think my body was on high alert against anything that was really bad for my body, & aspartame was one of those bad things. In the hospital they served me a bottle of Crystal Light & I about urped (although my stomach was empty)! Just seeing the bottle made me sick. Then they brought me sugar-free Jell-O. Oh dear lawwd I made The Hubs make that stuff disappear with a quickness! Again, I couldn't even look at it.

It was months before I would touch anything with artificial sweetener in it (I use the term to refer to any sugar substitute although I know many claim to be "natural"). I still can't eat anything with sugar alcohols in it (sorbitol, xylitol, mannitol, maltitol are examples). I was an insulin-dependent type-2 diabetic before my RNY. Perhaps that's a reason why I can't have sugar alcohols. Sugar alcohols are not completely digested by the small intestine in those who haven't had RNY surgery, so you can imagine the difficulty someone who's an RNY post-op can have in digesting them at all. Not enough independent research has been done on the effect of sugar substitutes on the general population, so you can imagine the medical community probably has little knowledge about how WLS post-ops react to them.

Your palate changes post-op (or at least mine sure did). You never know what you'll want or what you'll absolutely reject post-op. It really has no bearing on your pre-op food choices.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Charliekehoe
on 8/10/13 4:16 pm

i couldnt either, but i tried yougurt today, it was from dannon, Vanilla, sugar free and for diabetics, and it went down well with no issues

Miss Liss
on 8/11/13 11:42 pm

Nashua Nutrition sells several different brands of protein gelatin (jello).  Maybe one of them isn't sweetened with aspartame.  That way you are getting protein in at the same time.  They have protein puddings too.  They aren't bad.  I am not sure what they are sweetened with.  You could check out their site as they give that information on all the items they sell.  I have been buying from them a long time and always get my order timely and it is always right.  Good luck.

Bibo
on 9/1/13 12:50 pm
I used plain knox gelatin sweetened with one tablespoon of apple juice. I also made my own popsicles with diluted juice and water. Had broth, and home made yogurt. Very occasionally a dot of honey.

Most Active